danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
"autistic" vidya

| Please note that term "autistic" in this post does not have direct relation to medical condition and is not intended to insult someone. With this said, are you g/u/rls into autistic videogames? By "autistic" I mean games that does not require much cognitive abilities, mechanicall skill and concentraition from player and also does not contain any content that would trigger strong emotional response. Basically games that feel like lone walk in the park.

| Minecraft is a good example. Dirt rally's custom tournaments also feel simmilar once you got gud on the game.

| >>697651
*in the game.

| I in fact would in most cases prefer walk in park but rn I'm sick (no, that's not corona-chan) and gotta sit at home. So I'm asking you to share similar good stuff.

| I feel like you need to better define what you're asking, because those criteria you listed don't match with the games you listed, and the criteria are, like, the opposite of what I think when I hear "autistic games". This entire thread is confusing.

| Calling anything an "autistic game" is really weird, considering autism have such a wide spectrum. If it's not related to the medical condition then why call it that?

And I really would not call Minecraft a game that "doesn't require cognitive abilities", though it is possible to play it that way i.e. just walking around and feeling the scenery. Is that what you mean? But then you mention Dirt Rally and I'm lost again.

Yeah I agree with >>697662 , this thread is confusing.

| Do you need something really relaxing and meditative? Just to space out while you play? Is that what you're looking for, I guess Subnautica may be a good way to go. Well, unless you descend deeper in the ocean; it's not that relaxing deep down there, at lest for people like me who are afraid of ocean and enclosed spaces. Enclosed spaces filled with huge dangerous monsters especially "^^ But the game is good

| Elite:Dangerous may be a good way to go as well, but if you'll only do explorations and/or deliveries.

If you don't like space that much, you can try out Euro Track Simulator 2 I guess

| But really though, almost any game can provide you with this relaxing and 'spacing out' experience, it simply depends on what type of person you are.

| I can try to name more games if I've guessed correctly what type of vidya you are looking for. The description you've given is kinda vague indeed, so, well, just give me a hint if I'm moving in a right direction

| >>697666
Yeah! I agree right back at you. To me, and autistic game would be one that has, like, a lot of thinking. Maybe something with a lot of management, a lot of depth or a high skill ceiling.

Because as someone who's autistic and know a lot of people around the same place on the spectrum as me, games like that are the ones autists go, well, autistic over. So the descriptions don't make sense, but the games almost do, but also not completely, and I don't understand.

| Op shoul have said braindead instead of autistic, cuz autistic people would go more complex stuff dependinf on the degree

| >>697708
Oh. Oh, you're smart. That actually makes sense. With the context of OP thinking that brain-dead and autistic are similar things (when they're complete opposites), this thread now makes sense. I think you salvaged it for OP.

| >>697717 alternative descriptions include "pick-up and play", or "calm and casual"

Now for an actual suggestion, may I recommend Stardew Valley. A farming sim with a few but simple rpg elements.

| >>697708
That's my first thought. My second thought is "surely op can't be THAT rude/misinformed, can she?"

Well some games that I think is like a walk in the park: A Short Hike. The Long Dark on easy difficulty. Skyrim (with some graphical mod).

| This is incredibly uninformed

I think what you meant to say was "a chill game with no stakes", to which I would suggest Witness, but whether you meant to make an accidental attack or not this really wasnt it my g/u/y

if you can acknowledge autism is a medical term and is also used as a pejorative you can do better than immediately using it as a quasi-pejorative

| I always take the autism (not medical term) in games as the contrary concept, Autistic would be to grind for thousand of hours in some Jrpg or sims or Skyrim, build inmense farms in Minecraft or Factorio and running a world for years were people can't even turn off the game because it breaks and they have to wake up to do some tasks, or in a bad term on competitive games were people gets so mad to even bring a gun to a tournament (not looking at anyone USA).

| For games where you just walk around, Minecraft (anything works there), GTA... most open and sandbox games where you can do just what you want, walk slowly and aprecciate the ambient and enviorement.

| Regards calling this autism or not, I understand so many people reacting, this is like when the word "gay" was offensive.
It's true there should be another word, it's like calling a burger Hitler, but this kind of behaviour on videogames has always been rejected by society. Before it was called Nerds. But everyone started to be a nerd so now the word is autistic, again, it's true it's mostly in a despective way, but not regarding the medical term.

| There is no word for people who really elaborate on playing a game, because not much people do it and who does it, society says "he/she is sick" so of course not anyone wants to be called like that. It's the case of the word "otaku" in japanese.

| >>fac0b1 you are not wrong but you could at least not be that preachy?

| I would say obsessive or even addicted

| >>697811
Thing is, "autism" IS a medical concept, and (from what I've seen at least) it's used as a medical term 90% of the time. The other 10% is derogatory, so when you say you don't mean it as a medical term, the other interpretation is that you're being very rude and misleading.

There are many MANY other words you can use instead. Obsessive / addicted is a good one. "Like a lone walk in the park" is already a good description!

| Jesus fucking christ guys, we have already established what op meant by saying 'autistic games', we have already established that he is not particularly right by saying so, we've GOT IT, there's no need to keep saying the same thing about autism and how ignorant and rude op is. Yes, op should have choosen some other word to describe the type of vidya he was (and still is) looking for, but do you really need to continue nitpicking on very damn word he's said?

| It's just a word, there's no need to get so salty about it. People use it all the fucking time, and they don't always mean it in a bad way.

| >>697934 >>697935
Yeah. Please. It's not a big deal and this thread is now just people repeating themselves.

| >>697934
Sorry! I'm a language nerd so I kinda hone it to things like how words are used and can be misconstrued.

And anyway with op directly replying to the discourse I think this thread is already sufficiently derailed. We should make a new thread if we want to keep talking about games that are like walks in parks.

| >>697730
I've always heard Stardew Valley described as a maximum chill and cozy game, yet for me playing it stressed me the hell out, because I needed to optimize *everything* and if I missed out on even a small tiny thing it was perceived as a huge catastrophe. Really wish I could change my outlook, seems like I would enjoy it way more if I could do that.

| >>697960
You sound kinda autistic. I don't think it's possible to find a chill game that isn't possible to optimise.
Like, recently I've been playing Mario Odyssey to chill, but I always end up going for really hard jumps that I'm not even sure is possible and trying to use every single mechanic.
Minecraft can also be optimised to all hell.

| >>697971 >>697960 nah, not autism. It's just a strong Fear Of Missing Out. Pretty common especially with completionists.

As for games I recommend that are relaxing without much to worry about, I'd say games like Journey and Abzu.

| >>698036
That makes sense, FOMO is a pretty big issue for me even outside of games. I get bored too easily to be a completionist, though.
Also yeah, Journey was really great.

| >>698036
I have to disagree with that, partially. It can be because of FOMO, but it's also an autist thing. Autists get very focused and extremely into one thing at a time usually, so if they're and autistic gamer then, well, they usually get extremely into, focused on and invested in one game at a time and because of that often end up optimising everything, playing it constantly and doing essentially everything in it, granted they don't lose interest before they're finished.

| Sekiro, but with trains
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knXvbg49FuM

| >>698066 you meet one autistic person, you meet one autistic person.

I also have autism. While I also hyperfixate, most games I've played and enjoy tend to be focused on the main story without optimizing everything. Of course, that depends on if the gameplay systems have me hooked or not. There are a few that do and they practically become by new special interest by that point.

| >>698237
Homie. I'm autistic myself and know 5 others who are as well. In my case I'm the same as you, but the majority of autists I know and have met are like what I described. It's not every one. That reply was not meant to generalise. It's just from personal experience.

| >>698257
I doubt it. The majority of autistic people I've met(including myself) have been very different from one another and science backs me up on this. Autism is an incredibly diverse spectrum.

It's good that you've found 4-5 people who are your peers though.

| >>698286
I think you're misunderstanding me, like, big time. I'm not saying autists are the same or that the spectrum isn't diverse, because that's just false. I'm saying that I know a lot of autistic people who are like that. If you read my first reply that should be obvious. But, I don't see this conversation adding anything to the thread so I'll just stop.

| I have like 600+~ hours on Sakura Clicker. It's literally a cookie clicker game with anime girls.
It's garbage but I used to always leave it running on my PC because I thohght it was the funniest thing in the world.

| Girls Frontline fits imo. You just mindlessly tap through a sequence of screens every few minutes for constant farming of xp/cores/fairy xp.

| Nomic.

| Peeper poopoo bad thread stinky

| Just wanted to say when I think of autistic games I think of the exact opposite of what op says, like autistic games to me would be like dwarf fortress

Total number of posts: 42, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1600925693

This thread is permanently archived