danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Anyone here have the same problem?

| I have a lot of friends who play video games, but they almost never want to play with me because I usually win, and it sucks. I'm better at them in Smash, so they almost never want to play it with me, which is a game we play a lot. In games that are basically just RNG, including board games, they don't like playing with me because, uh, I win sometimes because of luck and that's my fault? They never play strategy games with me because they say "You're smart, you'd just win."

| Like, I know it sounds like a dumb flex or something, but I really do hate it. Playing games in person with friends is one of the few things that can make me feel genuinely happy, but they never want to play with me because I win more often than them. It's not like I rub it in or anything either. That I would understand. But I just play to have fun with them, and then they stop playing with me because I won a couple more games than them.

| Get better friends

| >>678966
This then, I was gonna say perhaps it's how you act when you win but you say you don't rub it in so idk.

We have this one friend in our group who is a clearly better player, but he gets arrogant and unpleasant to play with so it kinda ruined the friendship, but at the same time I'm a better player than most of my friends and make cocky jokes all the time and get shat on by them in return.

All in good fun so like...

| It's more your group of friends, I can get away with being jokingly cocky and they don't take anything I say seriously.

If your friends don't wanna play with you soley because you have better skills than them, then they're shit friends.

Though idk the whole situation so I can't really say anything.

| >>678971
They're good friends. Friendships are a lot deeper than fucking video games. At least they should be, and mine are. But, yeah. I'm never really cocky, not even jokingly. I just beat them, and then they don't want to play anymore.

| Handicap yourself, op. If you keep winning, play clumsily. Outright sabotage yourself, but don't make it obvious. You might still be having fun even when the game is one-sided, but I know it feels terrible if I keep losing.

Got a best friend who can never beat me when I'm at my full power, so I always try to be more relaxed when I play with her. Occasionally, when she's allowed that leeway, she actually gets good at the game.

| *laugh in single player

| Don't focus on winning, and focus on the fun value

| What I mean by that is that you are strong enough to control the flow of the game, and make it more fun for everyone, or make it suck less for others.
Of course, if you just feel like winning, go ahead, there's nothing wrong with that.

I used to play chess with someone who was fucking good at it. They could beat me any time (well maybe >90% idk) but it was never about winning, it was about setting up interesting plays that are far from optimal but bring the game in a "weird state"

| Like exploring chess idk if it makes sense ?

| I always play coop with friends, so no

| >>679034
Well, problem is that it would be really fucking obvious. I never really concentrate while playing, but I still win.

>>679086
I don't though. I don't care if I win or lose, but they seem to do so.

>>679089
That would just make it look like I'm flexing. Imagine playing a fighting game and your opponent never does anything that is optimal at all but still beats you. That, doesn't sound fun, does it? I do it sometimes without thinking and I don't think they like it.

| >>679114
I don't think I ever told you to trap them in an insufferable game.

But I can imagine that. I've had friends dominating a game of MtG with me and just waiting for their interesting combo to be playable, when they could just end the game and be done with it and spare me the "I'm being raped" feeling (I simply concede those now, no need to get worked up over that).

Anyways, it's never fun for long to be matched against opponents that crush you.

| >>679153
I play MtG as well, but I usually just kill whenever I can. It's actually my friends who are more the type that if they're winning they just try to frag it out as long as possible to get a combo that they have a 1 in 40 percent chance of pulling off. I try to make things quick or fun, but they still suddenly hate the game when I win.

| >>679157
You sound like you have a great mindset around games, well it might not be the case for everyone
:/

Maybe it's not so bad this way, even though I see how it can be frustrating...

| >>679187
Hmm. Idk. I played Mario Party with one of them today, and they legit got mad at me having good RNG. It's kinda fucked. When he got it, nobody cared or they popped off.

I tried bringing this shit up with them, and they said that they feel like I win in every single game and that I always have good RNG, which isn't even my fault. When I brought up the fact that there's very few games I'm genuinely good at and that RNG is not by fault, that didn't change anything for them.

| >>679192
Well, shit. Idk what to say to that

| >>679196
Me neither, honestly. A thing one of them said was that I need to just not be good at at least one game, because otherwise it's not fun to play with me, but that's when I brought off the very big library of games we've played together that I'm bad at or have never won in, but atppa that didn't change anything, which is quite annoying.

| Get better friends OP.

| >>679300
As I've already said, they're great friends in general. I don't need my friends to constantly play video games with me to be true friends. My happiest times are when I just hang out with them, talk about whatever, talk shit, just chill, you know? I've found some really good friends, they're just slightly annoying when it comes to this little thing.

| Play a coop game, maybe?

| I have the same problem OP when it comes to RNG, for some reason i have rly good luck on that but i have this good friend with horrible luck on any rng on any game, they're a really good person but just get really mad because of bad luck..and i get that, it must suck to not get the thing you want after hundreds of tries but i can't do anything about that. So often i hear rants about it and even a little agressivity towards me. I even financially ingame helped them but not much else

| I wish i could help them with that but all i can do is just wait out the anger and rants, try to cheer them up and hope they get lucky for once.

| We play other games that are less rng based but there's usually some on them, and even the slightest bit of it is enough to get them mad cause they just never get what they want ever.

| >>44b189
Yeah. Whenever there is RNG based games I usually win. I guess my luck is just pretty good as well. My friends usually get mad at me for it. Even in boardgames like Munchkin, by starting hand is usually really good and I draw cards that let me cheat out broken items and shit like that, and, just win. Whenever we play it they usually end up doing everything to let the person closest to me win and fuck it up for me, but I still win, and they just get salty.

| Damn dude idk what to say

I used to play strictly jrpgs and then I got friends that played fps, mobas and fighting games and just by getting rolled i got better.

There has to be some kinda multiplayer co op you can play thatll help them get better tho.

| >>680101
It's not like they're bad at games in general. There are a lot of games they're better than me in. It's just that the games where I win more often than them, even if I win, like, 60% of the time, those games are suddenly not fun.

| >>680104
Ohhhh. Thats an attitude problem. My buddy used to be like that....even in a good mood he'd demand rematch after rematch until he won and tgen would cop out. I remembet once we were playing Soul Calibur 4 and I was unexpectedly just rolling his Siegfried with Cassandra and he just got super rude about it and I straight up paused my controller and left his house lol

I hope they can get over that and just lose gracefully eventually.

| >>680107
They don't act like that. I mean, I wish they continued playing the game. They just get kinda quiet and sad and then, just, stop playing.

The only time this has happened and it was somewhat enjoyable was one time I played Mario Party, because then they at least joked about it instead of just going quiet.

I have som friends who don't mind and still have fun despite losing, but none of my closest ones are like that.

| I think I know what you mean OP. one of my best friends regularly goes to smash tournaments and is really good. As someone that has been stomped on them for the last 6 years its hard to want to play only to get beat. Maybe arrange teams or play more casual gamemodes

| Ok.

| >>680542
Well, they don't like casual shit. Competitive ruleset is what they prefer playing with, but they just, like, don't like playing with me.

When it comes to teams, well, that's basically what free-for-alls are when I'm in one of them. I'm the one who gets targetted for having 3 stocks, even when everyone else has 3 stocks. Then I win despite that and then the game isn't fun anymore.

Also, I never go to tournaments or anything like that and don't practice.

| >>680640
I think you just gotta accept the fact that you're just no fun to play versus against. Just stick with co-op when you want to play multiplayer. Play teams against the CPU at most.

And when trying out a new game, quietly sabotage yourself. Should be easier to feign incompetence in a game that you and your mates haven't played yet.

| >>680765
We do play some games like R6 and CS on the same team, and none of us really have any interest in most co-op games. I have done some stuff in Smash like teaming up against buff Amiibos and stuff like that, but that's just a fun little one-time thing.

That, doesn't Sound fun though. It's not like I'm good at absolutely every game and genre, so I wouldn't know if I was good or not without trying my best. Not learning the game at all sounds boring for everyone involved.

| >>680817
Well I mean from the sound of it you're just naturally good at video games, so you'll probably learn how to play more quickly. Simply try to NOT try your best.

But obviously if that's really just no fun for you, don't bother. Give up and do something with your mates that isn't video games.

| >>680826
I'm really not though. I have a few games I'm good at, but out of those the only ones I play with friends are Mario Kart and Smash. The games I mentioned like R6 and CS I'm not great at, and basically every fighting game that isn't Smash I'm usually not good at, maybe except one.

I mean, I don't think it would be fun for anyone. Me being intentionally bad would make it, like, not a challenge for them, and it wouldn't be fun for me because I wouldn't be playing the game.

| There are other games than those I mentioned, but, I don't think "good at" is a term that applies to RNG games.

| >>680874
I mentioned this before (>>679034) but I still had fun even after handicapping myself (both in secret and overtly). My friends had more fun too when they can take some victories (not all). I didn't make it a cakewalk, I just don't fight back too hard.

| Whoops. Link is to >>679034

| >>681035
I also answered that before.

| I don't need to read the rest of the thread to realize you need better friends.
Skill is one thing but sportsmanship is another ball game. I've seen more sore winners than sore losers but fuck if it isn't the same.
If only arcades were still a thing~

| >>681466
Seems like you did need to read the rest of the thread. I've responded to that, like, 3-4 times already, and I'm not doing it again.

| At least with rng related stuff when they just keep losing, don't get their drop over and over it's totally understandable, constantly having bad luck just sucks and is just out of anyone's control.
Now if the problem is just losing competitions and stuff you can just handicap yourself like it was said many times, get down to their level lol if you just rly wanna have fun with your friends you will.
Really wish i could just give my good luck to a friend still...

| >>681667
Handicap myself how though? If I make it so I spawn at 50% in Smash for example, won't that just make me seem cocky? I have friends who get mad at themselves for not being able to pull of a cool combo they practiced while playing against me. I don't want to imagine how they'd take it if I put a big handicap on myself and still somehow won. I just think I can't really play with them much.

| >>11e11d
Well even though i wished i never played smash, but if you notice that your friend is about to hit you from the top, instead of dodging like usual why not miss and get hit?
You have to be subtle about it, i imagine that in games like smash there's those "oooo you almost got me" moments, get got instead lol
Don't punish them so hard if you see the chance and miss your full combos.
Chances are that your friends might exploit those little "mistakes" here and there to win.

| >>681800
They've played against me so much though! They know how I play, they know what I miss and what I don't miss. I feel like it would be very obvious even with little stuff like that, and it's not like they would want to play with me anyways, you know?

| >>5ee788
Well then, that takes away my ideas, they need to stop being such casuals and get gud at the game lol
Either that or mature them selves, abandoning a friend from play times just cause you're good

| >>681803
Well, the worst part is that one of them is just, like, objectively better than me. Like, if he played a slight bit more I wouldn't stand a chance, because he adapts like crazy and has really good reads. But because I win, like, 4-6 out of 10 matches he just gets depressed over the matches he lost and stops playing.

Total number of posts: 49, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1595460705

This thread is permanently archived