danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
General Zachtronics thread

| Do you play "Zach-like" games? Why or why not? What do you like/dislike about them? Which one's your most/least favourite? Which one would you recommend to someone new to the series?

As for me, I enjoy Opus Magnum a lot due to its lower difficulty and truly hypnotic gif-able mechanisms you get after completing the puzzle. And I don't like SpaceChem much because it's rather rough around the edges and the main loop gets over designed a bit with the reactor placement layer.

| Also, I haven't touched the "true programming" Zach-like games much, mostly because TIS-100 is too convoluted and moving things around nodes gets annoying, and Shenzhen I/O, while a lot more manageable, still became too difficult for me a bit later on.

But all that was a couple years ago. Now I've got a job in programming and Exapunks started to look rather appealing. How is it? Is it worth trying out, or am I better off giving the other two games another shot?

| Guess Zachtronics stuff is not too popular here. Well, that shouldn't be surprising at all, I suppose.

Meanwhile, I'm making steady-ish progress through Opus Magnum. Optimizing for cycles is a bit of a pain, optimizing for area&cost is kinda same-y and boring. Solving the puzzles themselves is pretty fun still, though.

Also, I think I'll go for Shenzhen I/O after all, despite it being seemingly harder. Managing multiples EXAs and recursion in Exapunks is somehow more scary.

| Didn't they do Infiniminer back in the day?
Man, those were some fun times.

| >>676941
Yeah, pretty sure that was Zach's first "big" game. I'm more a fan of the later puzzle stuff, though.

| Opus Magnum looks really good! I want to play it, but a lot of the time I'm not able to concentrate and lose focus completely, and it definitely doesn't seem like the type of game you can play completely spaced out.

Total number of posts: 6, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1594174163

This thread is permanently archived