danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
This is the game engine thread

| I'm preemptively making this thread so y'all who want to yell about game engines can do it here instead of hijacking the Itch.io Bundle Gems thread.

Personally I find anything with visual programming frustrating, so I vastly preferred Love2d, DragonRuby, and RenPy over, say, Unity or Godot.

| Visual programming is the way of the future, g/u/rl. Everything that isn't actual game logic/physics/etc. is a pain to do in code.

| From what I hear Godot's 3D rendering isn't that good. I would still like to give it a try tho.

| >>670679
In its current state Godot is better used for 2D, imo. But I am also slightly biased towards preferring 2D games, so take it with a grain of salt.

| >>670678
Ugh, I dunno. I just think it's a pain having to move things around in the editor. Even when programming the UI, I feel much more comfortable messing around with the numbers and calculation in the code than having to place things with my mouse.

| I use Unity to make my games rn and yet I load all the levels in code instead of using Scenes :p

Yes, I'll prly be fine just using love2D, but Unity have a couple quality of life features such as sprite slicing and prefabs. I hate putting pre-defined objects in code so prefabs help a lot. And Unity has a neat Transform system that I don't think the freeware 2D engines have.

Also.. profiling anyone?

| but really, the reason to use Unity is because of 3D.

| like i use polyplex engine for Dlang its pretty ok

| I really like Godot, but to be fair I haven't used that many engines. A little bit of Unity, a game in GMS2 and just a tiny game in Godot. I still prefer Godot over the other two by, like, a lot though. It's just much more comfy and straight forward. I can just write what I want it to do instead of using unnecessarily long lines with a bunch of symbols and codewords and shit. It's just, like, "please do this" and it kinda does it.

| Godot is imo the best engine for 2D, it's making big progress with improving its 3D but still doesn't really compete with unreal or unity.

But if I ever wanna make a 2d game I use godot.

| i think we can all agree that rpgmaker mv is the best game engine

| Clearly we should all rip the Fallout 3 engine. It's good enough for Bethesda, right? /s

Total number of posts: 12, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1592626372

This thread is permanently archived