danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
What type of cliche in a video game do you like?

| Exploding barrels still make things satisfying

| exploding barrels r def fun.
Idk if I can consider this a cliche, but I rly like it when a third faction pops in up a story. For example, in halo, when master-chief fights the flood for the first time.
Other examples would be when Iji (in the game iji) calls the komato for help and starts a three way war to alleviate pressure on humanity, as well as when shepherd meets the race x aliens and black ops assassins in half life opposing force.
I like the chaos of a new situation.

| Stealing shit from everyone, everywhere. Games like Elder Scrolls and stuff punish you for it, and in BotW the NPCs acknowledge it and stuff, but there are still a fuck ton of games where you can just grab shit and break shit in people's homes or really anywhere, and I just kinda like it. It makes games feel more like games.

>>658519
That's more of a storytelling element than a cliche, and it's not vidya specific. It's definitely enjoyable though.

| How JRPGs often end with you fighting god/god-like beings and there's always a moment right before that where every party member has something to say. And then someone said something like "we can do this TOGETHER".

Just hit me with that cheesy anime shit.

| I always liked the mechanic in some JRPGs where enemies run away from you when you're too powerful for the area. It saves time AND let's you know if you're at a good level by the end of the section.

| Based projectile magic. They are cliched. And I love them.

| The rival boss, who fights like you and motivates you to get stronger. I feel bad calling it a cliche, since that's usually negative. I prefer the term tropes.

| Bosses that respect the player(s), and vice versa. SMT IV's Minotaur fits the bill; he initally sees you and your party members as inferior and worthless, but eventually begins to respect your combined strength, going as far as admitting that he was mistaken and praising your determination. Even Jonathan, one of your members, tells Minotaur that he will be struck down with the 'utmost respect'. Something about that entire battle just hits me in the good-shit spot.

| The double jump. So ancient, and yet still so fun to use.

| missable items. things you have no idea existed unless you use a guide or something. i finish a game blindly the first time, and then use walkthroughs to 100% the game

| >>659967
I actually have a big fear of missing out on content, since I usually don't tend to play through the game more than once (mostly due to time issues and having a massive backlog). So it's either missing a lot of stuff or spoiling the game with a walkthrough for me. That's why I really like when a game has a chapter select or when you can just revisit previous location at any point in time in an RPG, or something like that.

| >>661676 that's a nice thing too. ever since playing tactics ogre luct with its world system of jumping through points in the game i basically realized how much time i've been wasting lmao. i wish more games implemented this

| >>663470
>its world system of jumping through points in the game
Reminded me of Radiant Historia, now that's a game that has done it REALLY well. And a pretty good game in general, too.

| Dumb guard. I suck at sneaking, so any sneaking games with dumb and blind guard is my fantasy.

| Cutscenes in which the growing tense music is accompanied by a beautiful epic moment. For example, many such moments were in the Max Payne series, in the end of Blood and Wine (Witcher 3), in some games of the series Assasins creeds etc.

| instant stealth melee takedowns. overplayed, and you definitely can't choke someone out in 2 seconds irl, but it's always satisfying in stealth games

| Tema Aqua and Magma style of villains.
They tunnelvision on an ideal, and then you show them the wrong of their ways after you almost let them delete the earth or something, because and then they're not villains anymore...

| and i also misspelled comma... dang

| and i thought my post was sent but apparently not so i didn't misspell anything yet...

post was :
(oopsie a rogue "because" was inserted after a comma, don't mind it)

wtf am i doing

| 1 hit counter in the old Assasin creed was my shit. Too bad they dumped it for 'progression system'

| The peaceful moments in dramatic/serious stories. I like when the protagonists take a break in a safe place (castle, campsite, inn or a bar)and start talking about trivial things

| >>664882 I believe those are to help with pacing. If you have nonstop action and violence you do eventually get used to it and it isn't as impactful. Though some downtime and peace can help with amplifying the violence.

| >>664882
Yes, this. The first witcher was great with this thing.

Total number of posts: 23, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1591273318

This thread is permanently archived