danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
What are some crappy game design that needs to die

| I think mandatory tutorials should go away. If a game can't be learned by experimentation it's probably not very well designed. Especially with a lot of RPGs with confusing equip / stat system to distract you from the boring turn based battle. Speaking of which, that's another thing that should've gone away since they invented strategy/action RPGs. Two birds with one stone.

| Soulslike

| Visual Novels LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOOOL<

| Loot boxes, bug fixing post launch(lazy devs), pay walls and micro transactions in 60$ games

| >>629874 turn rpgs are gud don't buy if you don't like but I agree all tutorials should be optional but not banned if all games were just pick and play there wouldn't be new mechanics since all games would play the same to not need to introduce new inovating gameplay wich means more tutorials

| >>629878 *GIT GUD*

| Quick time events. I personally dislike qte and I don't get what's so fun about qte especially when it keeps popping up one after another in action games. It's basically just like playing simon says on a screen. It adds no depth in gameplay. I consider it a lazy and boring game mechanics in modern video game design.

| >>629962 I wish it's that simple. A few turn based RPGs have promising stories and character design, but it takes time to realize how grindy and tedious it is. Most of the time I'm just putting up with the tedious battle mechanics to keep enjoying the story/other experience (like exploration). If you like them good for you, but for me, even with games that does it pretty well (Mother 3 and Persona 5 so far), I still think they could be better off with different mechanics.

| Musou/Warriors game should die or just quarantined at Dynasty Warriors.

Gacha, I don't care of it is heavy on the microtransaction or not, it still cucks you out of the content unless you spend a lot of time/money.

"Choices matter" when there's only 2 or 3 endings (yeah, looking at you, Life Is Strange)

| >>629964 Kys

| >>630001 most times the smaller choices bring new diologe or minor changes to some big events and that increaces repaly value, true there could be more endings but the journey is what matters most to keep enjoying
Whats the problem with the warriors games? I loved hyrule warriors and I loking foward to persona 5 scramble

Also yeah gacha sucks

| >>629993 "I wish it were that simple". Yeah nigga, you just don't like turn based. That's it. You don't like em. Nothing wrong with it, just don't try to pass it off as a universal constant.
Action RPGs are not RPGs because a good action game is based around the player's skill while an RPG is based around the character's skill so it's an impossible rope to balance on.

| >>630108 except in Life Is Strange, there are only 2 outcome. Either you stick with all you have done for the entire game and save 1 person by sacrificing an entire town, or you abandon ship and go back to the intro of the game and never use the power; invalidating all the choices you've made the entire game.

I played Dynasty Warriors 4 and years later skipped to DW 8. Really didn't notice any massive improvements even if the gap is almost 10 years.

| >>629961
lazy companies*

| >>630124 when I said that I was referring to you saying "don't buy it" though.

| They are too comfortable with their formula. And then I tried the one piece warriors, can't help but to think that it is a lazy game. It tried to tell the story from the beginning but skipped some important scenes and minor characters. It cramped one arc into one stage and some arc just is not well represented.

| >>630206 >>630221 that's me, same person, btw.

| >>630221 if thats the case i can understand, but im a newcomer to warriors so i cant notice the stalenes but yeah it would be frustating, inovation is important

| I just played hyrule warriors so im a noob to the frachise

Wish pokemon would inovate ...

| If I see another indie platformer with extra lives I'm gonna puke, leave that shit in the 80s.

| >>629878
What's wrong with it though? Soulslike is literally metroidvania in 3d and I haven't heard many complains about it being bad genre. Bet ya just hatin' it because it's popular, so that makes you look smart.

| >>629878
Soulslike is the dark souls of ..

| >>630328
I think the point was:
>with extra lives
Limited lives is completely unnecessary nowadays. Either have none, so you get set back far every time, or none, and you start at the same screen. Just keep it consistent and better designed now that you don't need to make money on shitty stuff like that.

| >>630328 they proly hatin cause the games are too hard, if the games were unfairly or artificialy hard I would enderstand but its just about learning how to deal with te enemies soo I say to those people GIT GUD

| >>630403
Hon the person you're replying to is replying to the gurl who said Soulslike.

But I was gonna ask about the indie platformer with extra life thing. Feels like an arbitrary feature to get hung up on. Limited lives gives you some cushion if you fail, but still keep the risk factor. I see nothing wronf with it

| >>630463
I honestly think it's fine as well. Just explaining the argument I've heard against it, which I only partially agree with.

| >>630463
Limited lives are just artificial padding.

| >>630525
How... huh? Well, yes, they're padding so you don't get thrown back to the beginning of a level when you mess up, but because it's limited, you still don't take too much risk.

I guess there are ways to do it badly (too many checkpoints, game is designed for trial and error gameplay), but how is it by itself a problem??

| >>630533
It's padding in a sense that limiting the extra lives and completely resetting your progress when you're out only serves to artificially draw out playtime and add tedium. Having infinite retries from decently spaced checkpoints makes more sense, maybe make the checkpoints optional for people who see "challenge" in replaying the same half a level over and over.

| >>630533
All in all limited lives are just an archaic concept being dragged directly from arcade machines which was used to force players to spend more coins.

Total number of posts: 30, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1582723198

This thread is permanently archived