danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Recommended action-adventure game?

| Painfully vague, I know. So let me explain, gurls.

Lately I felt tired of arcade-style games and open worlds with monotonous environmental design.

I think the palette cleanser I need is a game where I'm on a journey with distinct levels and climactic fights. God Of War 2018, LoZ Ocarina of Time, Kingdom Hearts, and Darksiders fit, but I want to double check what else to look into. I also have a budget of $30 or less.

| Fight me but I think Soulsgames have pretty monotonous environmental design.

Uhh, Uncharted?

... Pokemon??

| >>622906 played Uncharted. I'm not a fan tbh. Even though GOW also has a lot of scripted parts, I feel like I have a lot more to do once the game let's me loose during combat.

| >>622906 wasn't thinking of Pokémon since it's a turn based RPG.

| >>622929
"On a journey" just makes me think of Pokemon, somehow. The thread title slipped my mind, sorry.

| >>622906 >dislikes Soulsborne for level design
>recommends Pokémon, and fucking Uncharted of all things
I'm sorry for being a rude ass, but that's a very small pp move.

All the DMC games are great though, not so much the second, but it's still serviceable. I'd recommend starting with the third. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is fantastic in a standalone sense, a goddamn rollercoaster of awesome. Bayonetta and Vanquish also fit the mold. No More Heroes is underplayed but amazing.

| Legacy of Kain has amazing lore and atmosphere. Brutal Legend is metal af. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic has a super fun combat system. Dishonored may not really fit, but I'd still consider it a great adventure. Killer is Dead is interesting to say the least. Both NieR games have a lot to say. Okami is a great Zelda-like. Prince of Persia games have a lot of soul, even the standalone remake that was made is a joy. Psychonauts is dumb fun. Redeemer is cheap but effective.

| Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption is nowhere as popular as its cousin but still an experience. And Warhammer 40k - Space Marine is SUPPORTED BY THE CODEX ASTARTES.

| >>622837
Shadow of the Colossus. Fits all your criteria and is an excellent game.

| >>623012 I have that and it really does fit everything I asked. One of the best games ever!

| >>622984 I haven't played Vampire: The Masquerade. Space Marine felt more like a corridor shooter. I like being able to explore more.

| >>622981
Oh don't get me wrong. Souls's level design is excellent. The look of the environment, however, is pretty samey.

| >>623258 Doesn't that depend on the game? DS1 was pretty varied, DS2 had some of the best looking and diverse levels of all Soulsborne, DS3, though, I have to agree was pretty samey for the most part.

| >>622837 Okami is one of my favorite games. It's gameplay was based off of LoZ. Even though it's older, it still looks beautiful and also was released in HD (on steam, ps4, xbox, switch). Plus it's $20 or sometimes $10 - $15 on sales.

Also the game was released by Capcom, and another studio which shutdown - but then those members formed Platnium Games.

| Journey and Abzu

| What about Borderlands. Good mix between FPS and RPG. Not too deep as an RPG and not as nervous as a fast FPS as DOOM.

| >>624081
Fuck, the enemies are SO bullet-spongy in that series. And it's kinda very cringey. Otherwise very solid, yes.

| >>624081 not my cup of tea, tbh. The games felt more like I was just going around doing busy work for people. Doesn't come close to what I had in mind anyway.

| >>624139 Well I tried. ^^

| >>622983
I also recommend Legacy of Kain, Prince of Persia, and Psychonauts.

Masterpieces of actionadventure gaming.

I'd recommend the Legacy of Kain series the most.

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1581000781

This thread is permanently archived