danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Coffee Talk released today

| It was this board that told me years ago that it exists. But sad no one mentioned it today.

| I completely forgot about this game, and it came out yesterday! D:

| I was going to make a thread when it dropped. But alas. I was asleep.

| It's got good reviews so far

| I was looking forward to it too, but after a while it just felt like Chinese knock off. Hmm. Will check on Steam later.

| I was looking forward to it too, but after a while it just felt like Chinese knock off. Hmm. Will check on Steam later.

| I just heard about it today. My first thought was "hey somebody liked Va11-halla, i guess I'll try it out sometime"

| Already got it, but I'm gonna wait until I have some chill time tonight to play it.

I played a super early demo and honestly, I'm not impressed by the writing from that. The graphic's super nice though. Hopefully the final game is better.

| I got meme-ed into buying ROM because of Va11halla and I didn't like it, so not again. Also not a fan of the artstyle, I'll pass.

| I got meme-ed into buying ROM because of Va11halla and I didn't like it, so not again. Also not a fan of the artstyle, I'll pass.

| What's ROM?

| >>621857
2064: Read Only Memories, cyberpunk adventure game set in the same universe as VA-11 HALL-A.

| Finished the main story for coffee talk after like 5 hours, it was a pretty good story, I personally enjoyed it.

| 5 hours for like $15? Does it have other stuff? cuz that is not a good ratio.

| It's $13 actually. I'm about halfway through the game and I'd say it's worth it if it's your kind of thing, art, music, vibe and all.

Personally I find the characters too mild, their stories too inconsequential, and well it's just TOO chill. There's zero stakes. No one is particularly interesting, memorable, or relateable. It makes me almost angry how mild it is.

But eh, I'd still say it's worth it if that's your thing.

| Green haired girl's Mild Chicken VS >DANA ZANE'S SPICY CHICKEN

| Is there any good reason to play this? It seems like a boring bootleg version of va11hall-a, and I haven't played it yet but it appears to me that it has some sort of ideological propaganda or something, judging by the setting and how the characters look, is it like that?

| >>622550
It's uhh, same aesthetic completely opposite energy to va11halla? Calling it bootleg is kinda rude the amount of effort put into it imo.

It lightly allude to some current issues. The year in the game is specifically 2020. But it's too mild to say anthing politically-charged, really.

| >>622555 well, on the dev's twitter, he stated that the game costs him 2 years of sleepless night (va11 released 3 years ago), he also said that va11 is one of the inspiration.

Sounds like he played va11 and decided to make his own va11 with his vlavor

If he release the game 10 years from now, then everyone will take it as spiritual sucessor. In reality, va11 was released 3 years ago and it's sequel is coming this year. It is only natural that people are calling it ripoff/bootleg

| >>622555 well, on the dev's twitter, he stated that the game costs him 2 years of sleepless night (va11 released 3 years ago), he also said that va11 is one of the inspiration.

Sounds like he played va11 and decided to make his own va11 with his vlavor

If he release the game 10 years from now, then everyone will take it as spiritual sucessor. In reality, va11 was released 3 years ago and it's sequel is coming this year. It is only natural that people are calling it ripoff/bootleg

| This is no different from AAA company (let's say EA), seeing thr massive popularity of battle royale and decide that they also need to make their own battle royale game.

| This is no different from AAA company (let's say EA), seeing thr massive popularity of battle royale and decide that they also need to make their own battle royale game.

| >>622580
He made it because he likes this kind of game and there isn't enough of the genre around. He also doesn't gel with everything in va11halla, so this is his own spin on the genre. He defo didn't make it because "it'll sell" like AAA companies would.

Sorry if I sound so defensive. He's my personal friend and I can see he put a lot of himself in it. I feel kind of hurt in his behalf.

| Okay, the question of the day.
Would it piss me off with with it's gamey gameplay around cawfee? I'm a barrrrista.

| >>622594 It's basically a kinetic novel where you stay in one room for the most part. There's nothing exactly innovative about the genre. The narrative style is different though, I feel. Usually as the protagonist, you are thrown right into the middle of the exciting stuff. Here, you just sit back and enjoy listening to others. I don't doubt a lot of effort has been put into the art, but as everyone says, story is too mild.

| >>622594 It's basically a kinetic novel where you stay in one room for the most part. There's nothing exactly innovative about the genre. The narrative style is different though, I feel. Usually as the protagonist, you are thrown right into the middle of the exciting stuff. Here, you just sit back and enjoy listening to others. I don't doubt a lot of effort has been put into the art, but as everyone says, story is too mild.

| >>622642
Uhh do you hate your job?

| >>622859
Nop

| This game seems normie as fuck, can't believe someone that played va11 hall-a made this

| I enjoyed the game. It doesn't have much to say, but it's just comfy enough to be enjoyable. I didn't find myself bored at any point in the game, though I can see how some would. Overall, it's a $15 indie title. For the price of games these days, I'd say it's more than worth it if you just want to chillax in an aesthetic coffee shop. Really, most albums cost $10 to $15, so the music alone is worth it for me. That, and the pixel art is rad.

| >>623184 you cant even get the music on its own.

| >>623184 you cant even get the music on its own.

| >>623567 Do you mean there is no album released, or that you can't get the soundtrack from the game files. A lack of either wi probably be a deal braker

| >>623568 There's an album release. Don't know about the game files, I haven't tried.

| >>623620 i did, it works. 48khz wav

| >>623620 i did, it works. 48khz wav

Total number of posts: 36, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1580817869

This thread is permanently archived