danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
gamedev: is it a good career?

| from what im seeing:
>you'll have to like to be bossed around
i plan to be the boss myself B)
>you make video games
>artists might make r34 of your characters for free if they like it
>have an entire subreddit consisting of people talking bad about your game balance that will never be satisfied by anything
>gamedev communities seems to be least salty
evem the gamedev programmers are nice. i swear a big part of the software programmers are just plain rude.

| It's good if you don't want to be rich.

It's a hella difficult climb for indie gamedev right now. There's a couple of lucky breakouts, yeah, but most just barely make enough to survive, if they make enough at all.

The community's good though.

| Basically, it's great! It's absolutely amazing! You'll get to interact with great people, have an awesome community (even if it's really small) and you might even earn enough money to live off it. You'll get to express yourself creatively, and making games can be a lot of fun.

You'll also have to work your fucking ass off constantly. You don't really have breaks. You live off a very small paycheck. If you you're a solo dev then you have so much work and things you need to learn.

| Making games is really fucking hard. Programming is difficult. Making good art is difficult. Animation is difficult. Sound design is difficult. Making music is difficult. Writing is difficult. Level design is difficult. Balancing is difficult.

You get my point.

Basically, it's extremely challenging and will take up basically all your time, but if you can take on such a daunting task and you don't mind living cheap, then it would be extremely both fun and rewarding.

| It's a career path that I personally would love to pursue, even if I don't make nearly enough to live off it. I've dabbled in game developing and done some really small projects, and it's super fun, though you also have to deal with everything I wrote above.

If you're up for it, do it! Start it as a hobby and don't expect it to become anything more than a hobby. If you keep on grinding and it does become more than a hobby, awesome!

Good luck homie.

Total number of posts: 5, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1576169220

This thread is permanently archived