danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
If you don't feel great because you are thinking too much, heres a tip

| Okay, so you know there are two answers right ?
Stop thinking, or think about something else.
Yeah this sounds stupid, but how do you reach both of these states ? That's a question i keep asking myself until i found the answers. So here they are
Think about the now, NOT THE PAST, NOT THE FUTURE. Think about what's going on around you
If nothing is going on around you, and you are only left with your thoughts, MAKE THE THINGS HAPPEN. Go outside, play games, talk with friends, read !

| -However, don't forget what you have to do, and to think about your actions and how they influence what's and who's around ya, just a lil bit, don't over do it !

Hope i help you g/u/rls, have a gr8 time in this life.

| But what if nothing is happening because im a university student and im stuck in my room due to covid?

| >>773271 You can still live in the moment even as a university student. Be consciously present for everything you do, wether it's eating a meal, playing a videogame, creating or fixing something etc.

| >>2f5cfb Like they said

| >>1d96e7 i appreciate that OP is in this mental state, but you have failed to adequately express how someone bridges that gap between the two.

It's a good trick to play oneself but cheatcode this is not.

| >>6e7c9d oh but this is clearly not a fix mental state. of course, at some point i will think too much again or remember bad stuff from the past, that's a normal thing.
however, remembering this and doing it when you realize that your overthinking is unhealthy is a "good trick".it's not a mindset you have to have 24/7, it's something you can do so you can stop overthinking.
even though it's not a cheatcode, cuz after all we're not in a game, it's at least something you can try

| >>b3c5c8 to be precise what you're talking about is mindfulness. It's something people try to achieve via meditation usually.

That is fine, but simply asking people to be more mindful of the present is not enough. Which is why meditation is a thing.

Personally i choose an activity that is neither too difficult nor too easy so you can enter a flow state, do it long enough till you zone out. Meditation doesn't suit cause of the adhd

| >>ec4cae you seem to know way more than i do about the subject than i do, so i'm really sorry for whatev i said before. my experiences are in no way universal, and the answers that i find neither.
what you are talking about rn is rather interesting to me, because all i do is just force mindfullness, like, i slam the big "PRESENT" sticker on my mind.
but meditation, and the way you do an activity to enter a flow state, that intrigues me you know ?

| i think it might help me to understand, do you have an example of activity that helps you get into a flow state, if that is ok ?
of course i'll find my own, but an example would be of great help

| >>773294
I don't think meditation is the best approach, especially for us with ADHD. CBT or more simply put, training yourself to stop having those thoughts as soon as they pop up is scientifically proven to work. You can form parts of your mind just like any muscle. The more time you consciously spend in the moment the easier it becomes.

| >>773299
I used to reach a flow state by playing videogames whenever my thoughts became too intrusive, but I found this to not be a satisfactory solution. I spent way too much time in front of the PC doing nothing constructive and it would only give me a temporary break from my negative mindset. After well over a decade I realized that it caused me to miss out on life itself.

| >>2f5cfb so what do you do now ?

| >>773308
I still waste time playing videogames and reading manga as a distraction...

I'm currently waiting for my official CBT course to start. In the meantime I put conscious effort into stopping those thoughts as soon as they surface by reminding myself to be consciously aware of the moment.

I practice this several times a day by making sure I taste every bite of every meal, by playing with my dog, gazing at nature, weather and wildlife and if the mood hits me I dance.

| I used to be a slave to intrusive negative thoughts from the moment I woke up to laying awake in bed at night, but after I got my ADHD diagnosis I read up on CBT and started teaching myself and, while hard at times, it works for me. Not only can I prevent negative thoughts from surfacing, I'm also much more able to find and hold positive moods for longer periods of time.

I also want to hilight the importance of regular exercise. It makes negative thoughts want to surface less ofte

| >>773263 around me is empty room.. and people sleeps :c

| >>b3c5c8 basing it around an activity that is gratifying at the end is important so you don't feel you've wasted time is pretty important.>>2f5cfb

The only thing you become mindful of after leaving a shitty fp2 game is how much time you wasted.

For me it's just about finding a way to trick yourself into not thinking.

I can't just "exercise" i play beatsaber or watch anime at the same time, i can't just read a book "reading in such a way to increase read speed".

| Once you can get over that 10 minute hump at the start then you're golden.

It's kinda like when you play civ for a long time and when you stop you become very aware of the time that's passed in a bad way, but this time it's something formative like art or yourself and not heroin or for shitty dlc practices.

| >>773263
Thanks OP.

| my mindfulness techniques are taking a long shower to shave, and sense counting, which is just counting smth like every sound you can hear or every shade of a specific color you see. I like both because they get you really inv

| they get me very involved with sensory input that's real rather than something that's playing back in my memory.

| I'm dead in this time.. i live only in past or maybe in future

Total number of posts: 22, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1626818875

This thread is permanently archived