danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Is anyone here genuinely happy?

| Because I think I may be now. There's finally something I can look forward to and I enjoy working towards it. Is this all it takes to be happy? Am I actually happy?

| Kinda
I enjoy doing my work, but dealing with some people is sad and exhausting.

| Nah. I used to be happy when I had a gf and a job but nowadays I feel like I can barely keep my life together.

| Well I am surely not.
Currently getting treatment because of depression.
Swallowing pills too

| not happy
also kinda wish i was a girl??

| I doubt that feeling like shit all the time counts as being happy. So no, I'm not.

| I am! My obvious advantages are having a job I like, good physical and mental health, and a stable home situation, which unfortunately aren't easily achievable for everyone.
My more attainable tips are:
* If you have the financial security for it, set up a regular donation to a top charity recommended by GiveWell. That way, you can reassure yourself that you're doing a measurable amount of good just by showing up to work. In about a year I'll have saved a statistical life!

| * Exercise more. The best approach I've found for this is to start with the laziest bare minimum, like walking around a park in your running gear, and keeping it up for a couple of weeks to build the habit of exercise. Once it's part of your day, then you can start stepping up the intensity.
* Try to maintain a sense for the insignificance of hassles and worries. Getting stuck in traffic for an hour sucks, but that's only like $10 worth of your time depending on your job

| * Similarly, pay attention to how things make you feel, and respond accordingly. Getting into random internet arguments made me annoyed, so I stopped. I really enjoy my food, so I try and take the time to appreciate the flavours properly instead of just inhaling it even when I'm hungry
* It's kind of cliche for advice, but mindfulness is worth a try. There are apps that help to learn it, for me the best part was learning to acknowledge and dismiss intrusive thoughts reflexively

| Im sure some people are, though I'm not

| Sometimes I feel truly happy, but I think that it's one of those things that is designed in our genetics to come and go. For some more than others.

| When im not working yes

| I am okay, because i have internet.

| Everything is short lived, happiness only exist in short bursts.

| >>674273
Everything only exists in short bursts. Everything is short lived after all. Even unhappiness.

| >>674275
I disagree. Unhappiness tends to stretch far longer than happiness does. There's a reason you tend to hear about "hitting a rough patch" so often, and I don't think there's an equivalent saying for happiness.

Of course, everything is relative, though, and none of it matters for the Universe in the grand scheme of things.

Total number of posts: 16, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1593498779

This thread is permanently archived