danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Tics and possibly Tourette's

| I'm not sure how to identify it. I'm pretty sure I have some tics. I've had different forms of it for as long as I remember, now that I'm thinking back on it. I just didn't give it much thought. Some of them now involve saying slurs, biting myself and punching things though, which is why I started thinking about reasons for it.

I don't know how to properly identify something like that, and I don't know when having tics would count as something like Tourette's.

| I guess I don't know if it's tics, but it's basically:
Movements and stuff that I can't really control. Like, I just kinda do it, often with a weird feeling before. While reading about this stuff I saw someone describe it as tension, which is pretty accurate.

For example, sometimes when a specific YouTube ad starts playing, I punch the wall behind me or bite myself or say something containing a racial slur. Not loud, but kind of just to myself and I can't really control it.

| Stuff like that doesn't happen super often normally, but when I'm stressed or anxious or overwhelmed or tired it happens a lot. Usually when I am one of the things above or a combination of it, in my room at night.

I also, like, touch my friends a lot. Like, grab them or touch them and stuff. Sometimes it's consciously for a joke, but sometimes I just get kind of a strange feeling and then just kinda do it. I sometimes throw things too, but that's very rare.

| Involuntary movements and saying random things (that have a chance of being something you wouldn't or shouldn't say in certain situations) definitely sounds a lot like Tourette's syndrome.

| Not a professional, but it sounds a lot like you have it.

| Most of these things seem to fit the description of tics and behaviour from people with mild Tourette's or similar.
I have autism and OCD, and apparently the chance of having tics is higher in people with those conditions.

Tldr: I have tics, mostly motoric ones and mostly when I'm stressed, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

| >>673425 >>673426
That's what I thought, but, wouldn't it be weird that nobody has really, like, noticed before? I guess tics are pretty common for kids, so the weird noises and stuff I made when I was younger makes sense to ignore, but it's only recently that I've noticed how these thinks seem to be tics and only recently that some of my friends have said that they think I might have Tourette's or something.

| Is it different with like, having the urge to do smth or else it bothers you and makes you feel very uncomfortable til i do it? for instance i bop/twitch my head to the side whenever i analyze a problem or my hands feel uncomfortable and i get really antsy until i let my fingers twitch or smth.
It's like if i dont do this thing i feel physically uncomfortable and i couldnt carry on with what i was doing

| >>673473
No, not really. I have some stuff like that, but that's my OCD. This is different. This is more, like, I don't have any control. Like, I just do it. O don't think "I want to do X" it just happens automatically. Sometimes I might be able to prevent myself completely from doing stuff like that if I focus really, really hard, but it just hurts and most of the times I'm not prepared.

| >>673428 I never lived around someone or knew someone with Tourette's, though I think people do disregard it as children playing if they display similar behaviour.

I got diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome like maybe 5 years after the initial suspicion that I had it, so in a way it kinda follows the things that probably don't get diagnosed at an early age?

| >>673530
Yeah. You don't get a diagnosis for tic related stuff young, because some kids just have it, like, naturally, when they're young.

I have Asperger's as well, and that apparently means my chance of having tics and potentially tourettes is higher than average. I'm 17, so child tics aren't a thing for me anymore, but I still definitely have some things that I, as I explained, am pretty sure are tics.

| >>673542 that's about the age I got my Aspberger's diagnosis.

There were records I think going even further back into my childhood, but none of this was confirmed for over a decade.

Human psychology and behaviour is complex, genetics too. Sometimes it feels like my grasp on these things are basic.

Some people may have a coping mechanism, some may not, if there is one, even.

See if there's something positive you can do with it, often I think of Asperger's as a thing I just have

| ...that doesn't stop me from living my life, in a way there's a balance that's got to be found IMO and that balance is different for everyone.

| >>673547
I've actually watched a lot of both her streams and her normal content. I guess I just didn't think I had it because of how severe her condition is, but recently when I've thought about those things and how I feel when they happened it reminded me a lot of what she's talked about.

>>673563
Same. I got it, like, now, basically. Or, well, I haven't gotten the papers yet, but they told me I definitely was on the spectrum for Asperger's and that I'll get the papers soon.

| >>673564
It doesn't stop me from living my life of course. While it's not necessarily a positive thing to have, I don't view it as purely negative. The behaviour I have and the way I think is just me, you know? That's just who I am. I just gotta be comfortable with myself and find things that work for me, which I'm working on now.

| can you control it?

| >>673689
No. That's why I think I have it.

| >>673594 well it's good that you'll get your diagnosis and that it's all finished, anon.

Re: >>673595 there are people who accept you for who and what you are, you're you, I'm me, etc. to a certain extent there is many degrees of uniqueness within each of us and people who care about us just the same as before, even through hardships.

| >>673737
I'm well aware of that, and I'm lucky enough to already have lot of good people in my life like that, who I've told about my deepest insecurities, faults and shortcomings, along with my diagnosis stuff and all of that, and they still love and care about me just the same. I'm a really lucky person despite having a lot of struggles.

| Also, today was really stressful and stuff for me because if many, many different reasons. Some of them being OCD related, and I had a lot of what I'm pretty sure are tics when I was in the shower. I punched the wall a lot of times and bit myself a lot without any control over it. I'm starting to realise that I really need to talk to my therapist about this, and maybe try to find ways to remove stress effectively.

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1593311551

This thread is permanently archived