danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Do any of ya g/u/rls play chess?

| I've always been curious, but I never really got into it. So I know all the basic rules, but not the fancy stuff like openings or endgames. Do I need to learn all that or do I need to play more? Can I get by with only playing? Or is actually a mixture of both required?

| You can play chess at any skill level if you know the rules.
If you want to compete professionally, you need to know as many moves as possible and their counters.
It is entirely possible to play and have fun knowing absolutely none of them.

| The first step of playing chess is to not be a complete dumbass.

I tried challenging my friend after watching a lot of chess videos. We are both noobs, and I lost 7 times in a row. I haven't played again ever since.

| >>639865
None of my friends play chess either, so I'm left with playing online, and I guess people get pretty competitive there. So while it is still somewhat fun, I keep getting stomped all the time. Guess it's time to brush up on some theory after all.

>>639866
Welp, I failed the first step already then.

| Knowing the basics is all you need. I don't really know how chess online is though. Is there any sites that have ranks like in competitive video games? That would probably make getting into it and practicing a lot easier.

| sometimes but i am shit at it

| Ayy, I play chess very casually.
As said above, you can play it at any level, the more into it and the more you learn the more fun it is.

Download lichess, it's a chess website with a great app. You can play others online and they have daily puzzles which are alot of fun to try and figure out. Some good learning resources too.

But yeah just knowing the basics is enough to have fun, if you want to try getting better you can find many youtube tutorials out there...

| ... There are lots of different videos on the different openings and what not but before that you should watch up on general best practices and strategies, like learning to develop your pieces, what to look out for etc. Chess.com has a pretty good YouTube series for basics which is where I started.
Also if you want, you can start watching pro games with breakdowns, alot of that goes over my head but you learn alot and it's entertaining.

All in all, have fun.

| I do. I played thousands of games online and can tell you that quantity doesn't turn into quality at all. If you want to play above 1600 on chess.com, you need to know the openings.

| >>639876
> Welp, I failed the first step already then.
>>8405cc here. to be more precise, it's more because I have a really weak short term memory and patience. I think the conventional way to win at chess is to analyze every piece and imagine a few possible enemy moves (be one step ahead). When I was playing, I had noticed that, but I also have no patience and just go with the "coolest" moves when my head starts hurting. That's why I sucked. I do pretty decent in speed chess tho.

| Oh, and also the non-conventional way was to become an AI cause humans can never reach that level of chess.

Also, speed chess/fast chess is really fun because the opponent also has limited time to think. Maybe try that first to get you motivated into more classical chess.

| >>639939
Yeah, most chess sites use the standard ELO ratings, I'm pretty sure.

>>640001
Lichess is my website of choice as well, I do puzzles there all the time. My puzzle rating floats around 1100-1200, which is... Not great, I assume. Haven't tried actually playing much yet though. Kinda hard to have fun when I'm getting destroyed constantly.

>>640026
But I have to actually play the openings to learn them and do it as much as possible to really hammer them in, right?

| >>640268
I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I think I might have ADD, so having weak short term memory and patience is something I'm very familiar with. Kinda gets in the way of everything, including chess. I also tend to hyperfocus on certain parts of the board and it's hard to see the whole picture. That might be due to lack of experience more than anything.

>>640269
Speed chess sounds neat, but I also have to think about my moves a lot, so maybe it's too early for that yet.

| >>640860
> I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I think I might have ADD
bruh. I'm in the same boat. I'm the person you're replying to btw. now that you mention it, I'm wondering if chess can be used to help self-diagnosis of ADHD. I went on google and found a potentially interesting read
https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/adhd-how-to-play-with-it
Anyhow, I thought it was a weird coincidence. I've moved on to a different hobby for now, but I wish you a good luck.

| >>640929
Well, usually self-diagnosing isn't really a good idea for obvious reasons. Can't really blame you though as someone who's done the same, but if it is a problem for any of you I recommend finding a therapist who can properly diagnose you and get you some meds.

| >>640929
Yeah, pretty interesting read. Although one of the comments there does state that it might be depression and lack of motivation instead, which is definitely a possibility.

>>640943
Oh, absolutely, self-diagnosing isn't really valid in any way, shape or form. But I haven't really thought about it being ADHD before, and now that I do, it feels like all the pieces are finally falling into place. I'm going to the therapist first thing after the quarantine is over.

Total number of posts: 16, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1585925420

This thread is permanently archived