danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Telling your parents that you're no longer religious...

| So... How tf does one do this?

My parents are those extremely dedicated Catholics, their lives revolve around religion.

I grew up religious my entire life but as I grew up I began to hate it all.

I've been skipping mass for the past year and lying to my parents about it, I hate the lying but I hate going to even church more.

I want to tell my parents that I'm done with religion but just can't, it'd ruin our relationship and break their hearts. I'm also super reliant on them...

| "I'm also super reliant on them..."
Here's your problem

| are you out of the house yet and working? my family has a similar issue, my brother stopped going to church after going to uni abroad and never looked back. they still keep in contact but they don't talk about religion.

| >>623036

^

Measure how much you care about breaking their hearts versus how much you want to be done with religion, and go from there.

Plenty of people just don't talk about it because it's a non issue, and don't let their beliefs or lack thereof interfere with their relationships.

| >>623078
Honestly, you should just tell them and hope they accept you. While this is different, I have done something similar. I told my parents that I'm pedo. I expected them to hate me for it and throw me out of the house as soon as they were legally allowed to, but they still love and accept me.

As I said these are definitely different things, but your situation just reminded me a lot of my own, and even though I was scared I went for it, and I'm still doing well.

| yea to people who think denying religion is an ok thing , I can tell you parents would actually disown me if I told them i was gay ;-.

| My family straight up ignores the fact and acts like I am. When I go on and on about how I'm not religious at all.

| I'd entertain them and their ideas for a few more years. Also, avoid ignoring other's ideas just because "oh, I don't believe that". Always keep an open mind. Who knows? Perhaps some day something might click. Perhaps not in the Catholic Church, or with religion at all, but it's always good to contemplate other's ideas and beliefs on the world, and how they fit in or make sense in yours. Good luck OP. Sorry to hear about your awkward situation.

| >>623078
Hang in there OP. I think the best course for you is really just to keep going to church and play nice until you can move out and live on your own. Avoiding the topic will be easier afterwards.

Total number of posts: 9, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1580717018

This thread is permanently archived