danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Would you read a fantasy book where the good guys fail to save the earth from whatever?

| Title.

| If it's good and not just to be edgy, then fuck yeah. Dark fantasy book where they fuck up and slowly descend into madness and shit sounds awesome.

| Yes I would

| I mean yeah why not. Do you mean like they fail in the begining or at the end. I imagine it being an ending is harder to write

| >>616998 The slow, steady fall despite the heroes’ best efforts, building towards the end? Same how you’d plot stories where the heroes won. As long as it can be pulled off well, worth reading.

| you're all masochists

| I'd imagine it more like the heroes failed, and now they have to deal with the aftermath of their last stand.
Of course, they'd have purpose. I'd make them carry on and lead the survivors. Colonies would split to seize again what was theirs, lead by heroes that would be regarded as legitimate leaders, everyone knowing the efforts that they made were the best humanity would ever manage.
I'd go as far as write a second generation, that is not as respectful towards the hero failures.

| only if the author doesn't proceed to write up a sequel where they succeed anyway and the whole failure thing was a ploy to make us buy the next book

| or like, you know, where the character suddenly got time travel and literally undid everything.

kinda like a certain movie.

or a certain webcomic.

| Mistborn is kinda like that. It takes place *after* the original chosen one/hero fails and fails utterly to stop the Big Bad. Now society has to deal with the after effect.

| If it serves the story. They can't fail just because that's how the author wants it to end, they should fail because of the results of their actions, and because there's a message behind their actions.

| I think far cry 4 and 5 are kinda like that. The goal is reached in 4 but at big cost and player basically making existing civil war even more bloody for no reason(secret ending). In 5 the goal isn't reached and all that's left is path of destruction escalated by player, where - while controlled by cult - shelters that could be actually used were destroyed and in turn even more people died and no one was saved in the end.

| >>617072
Haven't played Far Cry but how do they manage this without hella annoying the player? Is it meant to annoy the player?

| >>617100 it definitely was a huge cockblock. Everyone who I've seen discussing it considered it a dissapointment. Makes sense, since the player character singlehandedly fucked the entire cult in the ass with a rusty spur only for the villain to go "sike, nukes". And everyone is dead while your character is either locked up with a psycho in a bunker or gets hypnotized by him to kill the remainder of survivors. Supposedly it plays into the sequel but I haven't played it.

| i want more stuff with pyrrhic victories. yeah the heroes win, but they couldn't save everyone and wonder if it was worth it at all

not every surviving character will see a sacrifice as legendary and heroic; realistically some are bound to see it as purely tragic/preventable/straight up unnecessary

of course, deaths should still be meaningful, but i'd like to see some characters die in vain for a change too -- like a ww2 story told from an axis soldier's perspective

| >>617100
As far as I know most people didn't like it, some were trying to read into it as "so should we just let bad people do bad things?", guess that's kind of thinking that brought support to war in irak and we all know that nothing has been really resolved by it, apart from US and jews getting their hands on oil. I actually liked it, after 4 I didn't expect "good" ending and I played enough games to neither be surprised nor craving for yet another "hero saves the day" story.

| >>617100
Don't think it was meant to annoy though. Far Cry's are every time trying to be meta about themselves and video game tropes. It didn't really work in 3, because people were used to over the top hero stories in vidya, it was little better with 4 and 5, especially if you try to read into all the optional text bits and mission briefings and such, things that most players and probably especially far cry players don't care for.

| >>617313
Huh, I kinda thought FC is about shooty action in exotic locales (yeah I consider FC5'S setting exotic) and that's what I thought most people associate it with.

Feels weird to know it's trying to be deconstructive when it looks so... constructive.

| >>617324
Well it is and it is what most people associate it with, but "most people don't even finish games", skip cutscenes, yada yada. Keep in mind, apart from reading about 3 and writers intention, the 2, 4 and 5 is my interpretation, with my autism I try to 100% them and I read even the small bits of text, try to make sense of it, see "hidden meaning". Lot's of it might be projecting, but I have some love for series, even if I see it's gameplay flaws and repetivness.

| Anyone has any suggestion or experience for these kind of stories beyond Mistborn? Something grimdark like Berserk or Drakengard (Drag-on-dragoon) would still fit for me

| >>617496

What about the Dragonlance series?

Total number of posts: 21, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1579458110

This thread is permanently archived