danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Tell me why i should read books about philosophy

| Seems like a waste of time to me

| The more you force yourself to read stuff you don't want to the more you'll dislike it because it's a forced chore.

Just give it a try when/if you feel like like reading this stuff and it'll be better.

Trust me I only started liking books after I finished school and had no one trying to force me into reading them.

| >>590130
Im not forcing myself to read them because theyd seem sophisticated. Im just genuienly wondering what people get out of reading them when they dont include actual cold hard facts and knowledge, but instead some random peoples ponderings about life. I dont care about their conclusions for answers on philosophical questions when i can quite easily make them myself.

| I don't think anyone really cares whether you read philosophy books or not.

| >>590142
I know. What im trying to ask is why anyone would read them :|

| Philosofy is a way of thinking and llving

| >>590164
You dont say

| >>590159

Why didn't you just ask that, instead of posing the thread as a demand?

| Allows you to better understand the nuances for your own answers to philosophical questions and put them into greater picture, catch some ideas you wouldn't think just by yourself and understand better why other people believe certain things.

| >>590186
This, you should also discuss with people who are ready to follow rules and talk in turn, non-violently, working towards consensus (or something else).

| It allows you to act aloof and superior about even the simplest matters and discussions while using long words to explain simple concepts

| >>590189

You don't need philosophy to act superior. The key word is "act."

| Philosofy its just another type of thinking, it aint about been superiority, for this sense its just like arts, science, maths, whatever. So if you feel you dont need philosofy then fine, just dont make a "im an altruistic ashshole you must convince me" sign because everyone will have different opinions on why you should and shouldnt. If youre really interested then you need to ask "how do i get started on...?" and fucking stop talking shiet just for the sake of taking shiet.

| Yes you can come to your own conclusions just fine. But those are conclusions based on soley your own experience throughout life. In order to achieve a more rounded, and understanding perspective, it's good to read about other's conclusions, and how they came to those conclusions.

| id also consider looking into fiction if your true beliefs are >actual cold hard facts and knowledge

as that will let you see more in everything than an analytical framework lets you. you won't get far doing cost-benefit analysis on everything

Total number of posts: 15, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1566461956

This thread is permanently archived