danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
imagine you sent a high-powered laser up into space onboard an unmanned satellite.

| how easy would it be for the CIA to set fire to whatever the fuck they want without anyone ever noticing it?
it doesn't have to be a big laser. it can have the size of a wallet. it's relatively light and can be mounted anywhere, and supplied with solar energy.
they could set fire to anything they want.
fuel storage? check. wooden houses? check. fields? check. a forest? would kinda work too. anything dry? check. a fucking person? check.

just think StarLink just high-power version.

| elon musk is proof-of-concept. continuously precise lasers. and the bigger the laser the stronger it is too. i'm sure the DIA or whoeverthefuck has covert satelites up there, somewhere has to at least. they can start fires anywhere they want and people will just be like "dude the sun lmao".
didn't spacex or whoever send up a classified payload just a few months ago? there was a story like that somewhere

anyways this would be an amazing guerrilla and black ops tool. incendio! fire.

| let's call this very credible conspiracy theory "The Incendio Project" from now on.

| >>588530 Affirmative.

| ok i'll sleep now, keep up le thonks

| Nice idea but laser beam will be severily affected by tiny atmosphere turbulences. Also I don't think people can create lasers which emit perfectly parallel photons yet (i.e. laser beam would be perfect 1D line) which means you don't even need an atmosphere to get bigger and bigger beam diameter the farther you get from laser itself.

On the other note, your idea resemble a project of creating exploding rentgen lasers to destroy nuclear missiles. Look up Project Excalibur.

| A nice idea, but see inverse square law. Any laser light reaching Earth will either be too widely spread to ignite anything, or so powerful and widely spread that it is igniting huge swaths of land and is hardly covert

| >>588540
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-beXhtVekY

are the aforementioned problems anything that the department of defense and technology associates can't resolve?

| >>588712

Within our lifetimes, probably. Although they will need to be solved if laser power transmission is ever to be a thing

| >>588721
how about a dish?
media.buzzle.com/media/images-en/photos/conceptual/technology/1200-26693311-satellite-dish.jpg

| Inverse square law again. It would likely have to be done in a relay of satellites, so as long as nothing gets broken or misaligned, we cool.

I can't wait to see the solar panel Death Star-looking thing that they decide to put up there

| Also, if I understand right, even if perfect lasers in the sense of the parallelism of outputted photons are possible, perfect light beams are still impossible because of photon-photon scattering. This should not be a preventing problem for OPs idea though.

Total number of posts: 12, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1565717399

This thread is permanently archived