danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Why is puritanism still alive?

| How the fuck the newer generations haven't get rid of that puritanism poison by now?

| Last time i heard of puritans it was in history class with the pilgrims

| idk, i think puritans had some pretty good ideas

luxury and materialism as distractions from what truly matters? yeah, nobody's out there gonna chop oligarch heads when they're busy fucking around on their iphone
a strong sense of community and mutual responsibility? very kantian in nature, cool and good
simplicity of worship and rejection of church hierarchy? i've yet to see a church hierarchy that isn't all about fucking kids, so anyone who goes against it is a-ok in my books

| but all y'all use puritans as shorthand for "anti-sex" without a second thought, so bless your hearts and touch grass

| >luxury and materialism as distractions from what truly matters?
You don't need puritanism to oppose those things. Stoicism also aims foe austerity, humility and gratefulness, without any of puritanism.
>strong sense of community and mutual responsibility?
Again, you don't need puritanism for that.
>simplicity of worship and rejection of church hierarchy?
You don't even need religion nor worship a god(s) to live a full human life.

| >>1009212 also, that "simple anti-sex" that puritans are known for is not a "little thing". Human sexuality it's a natural part of being human. Being against it is extremly harmful. Ask any self-respecting psychologist.

| >>1009215 yes and indulging sexual urges every time, hypergamy, and oversexualised content in everyday media is also just as harmful

| >>aadbf6 the stoic asks you to detach yourself from the world and pay no attention to how it is ruined by the actions of others, and especially to expel no effort towards stopping them- after all, you will be perfectly comfortable living as a god within your own mind-palace. it's a form of suicide, philosophical or otherwise, and should not be recommended to anyone. odd choice for comparison, really.

| on the point you are actually making, yes, you could theoretically arrive at a moral foundation from first principles, but i wish you luck. you are not immune from the water in which you swim.

| >You don't even need religion nor worship a god(s) to live a full human life.
where we had no gods, we invented them. neoliberalism is a religion, following the biblical mammon; and anything promising an utopia following a revolution of sorts is religious in nature. these religions are just as intolerant of dissent and just as willing to use violence and coercion to achieve their goals as their "traditional" counterparts.

| show me a full-throated atheist and i will show you a liar, for there will always be an irrational faith within their heart.

| finally, sex is not necessary.
emotional and physical intimacy are needs. trust, security and belonging are needs. they deserve to be respected and met, within reason- it is one of the obligations that we have towards one another.
if you have (a) willing partner(s) to have sex with, good for you. if you don't, nobody owes you sex. ditto, sex is not representative of personal value, worthiness or virtue. it's a bodily function, like breathing or shitting.

| i will go ahead and ask a self-respecting psychologist next thursday, but i doubt she'll come out advocating for government sponsored sex stamps.

nb.- i hate the character limit on this godforsaken website

| >>8569ab *fucks your mouth*
-THE TRANNY FIGHTER-

| >>8569ab seems like someone got mad lololol XDxdDzxddxDxd

| yeah, i should've known better.

| >>aadbf6 seems like someone got owned and didn't have a better comeback lololol XDxdXdxdxDxdXdxddd

| >>1009285 go ahead, keep your puritanism and thinking everyone is primitive enough to need religions, may one day you realize your shortcomings

Also, stoicism should be recommended to everyone, really. Maybe you think of it as suicide because it asks you to get a thicker skin against adversity, it's quite telling of your emotional breakdown.

| >it's quite telling of your emotional breakdown.
OP...

| I love sex

| >>aadbf6
lame...

| Why are you booing me? I'm right!

| i like puritanism because it sets a societal norm i can be maximally deviant from

| >>1009316 okay I can respect that

| this is some food to eat... I'll come back later.

| >>8569ab
pure retardation.

| >>effead
tldr
bro church.
there are expections in everything.
muh live's view!
sex sex.
nobody gives a fuck.
>>>/news/

| opssss
>>>/new/