danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
danger/u/ literature club NEW

| If you're illiterate then GET OUT
What are g/u/rls reading?

| Zen and motorcycle repair, it's very internally driven which is different from what I regularly read. Like self obsessed about narativising small things about people but in a approachable way.

| I've been reading a pair of books titled "The Weekender Effect." It's about how the influx of people over-developing/over-visiting mountain towns are destroying said towns and pushing actual residence with a historical connection to the mountains out of the towns. Interesting read so far. Though the author's bias is obvious, he's not exactly wrong about most of what he says.

| Whoever posted "Unbreakable" here is going to get a kiss on the nose from me. It's some good shit and the author knows what the hell they're doing.
I'm going to go ahead and find and consume more of their work in the future. Going through "Catch-22" now, Joseph Heller. It's adorably gay? Lowkey?

| "Berge, Meere, und Giganten" by Alfred Döblin.
He wrote it before the 2nd world war and the story is mad af. I encourage anyone to read the plot summary on wikiepdia.
A story of nuclear war, cannibalism under the Urals, and giants made of a thousand human and animal bodies fighting off waves of ever mutating biomass coming from Greenland.

Döblin is famous for city literature here and he hated nature but wrote this book after seeing a pebble tossed in the waves and being horrified.

| Reading Akutagawa Ryunosuke's "Kappa". Interesting piece, also curious that this is pretty much the only novella that he had ever written.

| Finally read Snow Crash, and loved it. Next up is Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord because I've been meaning to sink my teeth into some philosophy

| Finally read Snow Crash, and loved it. Next up is Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord because I've been meaning to sink my teeth into some philosophy

| >>1005776 Hell yeah! Snowcrash goes hard af. In my mind Snowcrash, 9M9H9E9, and House of Leaves share the same canon.
I have a whole schizzo theory connecting these things.

| Started reading No Longer Human, but honestly having trouble getting through it.

| >>1005981 book or manga?
I'm was thinking about getting the book but if you say it's a bit of a slog I'll pay a bit more and go for the manga.

| >>1005981 Book, I did buy the manga too and planned to read it after the book but i might just switch to reading the manga

| >>70c332 more of a vibe tbh, it's emo reading but for moderately educated people.

| Big Dick Haver Digest:101 ... you probably wouldn't get it, its high level stuff

| books are for old people skibidi rizzler gyat

| >>1005981
I've read the book. Didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped I would, but it's relatively short enough that giving it a read might be worth the trouble. I'd say I enjoyed Ryunosuke's "A Fool's Life" more, but it was also a bit of a strange read.

| "The setting sun", from Ozamu Dazai. It starts slow, but now that I reflect on it, that's part of the charm, since the protagonist is a former rich girl. The book asks you more interesting questions, more frequently, almost dancing to the tempo of things going to shit in the story. For those of you who feel devoid of reason and thought rather frequently, I'd recommend this one book.

| Just finished East of Eden which I enjoyed, I live in the area and my Steinbeck is woefully limited so a fitting read for the moment. The biblical allusions are pretty on the nose but I guess that’s to be expected. Was thinking of reading Daniel Martin next, I’ve read almost all John Fowles’s fiction in the past year and really enjoyed itand that’s all that’s left.

| >>1006346
I've only read the Junji Ito manga but I got a distinct feeling that this is not a book to be "enjoyed". Or any of Dazai's works, for that matter.

The manga was good. Harrowing. I expect the book is just as harrowing if not more.

| >>1006835 >>1005981 I am also reading no longer human! its great, but not in a "happy" great.

I'm also reading The Last Days of Roger Federer (and other endings). It's to early to give a review, but the way it handles decay and all of it's different forms is a pretty interesting midnight read.

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1709401955

This thread is permanently archived