danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Steam has become awfull

| everything ranging from the new ui
to the content filtering, abandoning support for old stuff, trade and gift restrictions, even to preventing purchases because aparently my 10 year old account with a card that's been registered for years is suddenly a suspiscious transaction when i want to buy a 8cent skin >>with my steam wallet credits<<
which is the last straw for me anyone got any solutions/alternatives?

| There's uh, hardly an alternative to a widely-used vidya store / application. I mean, I guess GOG could help you out with a few games, but that's hardly helpful and it's somewhat limited at times.

As for solutions, well, there's always Steam Support. How well they do their jobs on that end is beyond me, but it's always worth a shot.

| you can pay money to play games?
i thought everyone got them for free

| Well, since I haven't got any of these problems I don't know of any alternative except the obvious >>677589

| Well, all that fluff never was good. And it still launches games - so I'd say overall steam is good enough. Solid 6/10.

| > abandoning support for old stuff
Uhh citation needed? Pretty sure compatibility support and all that depends on the gamedevs, not on Steam.

| GOG and Itch.io
Itch.io has no DRM and 100% of revenues can go to devs but finding good games may be a bit harder considering that it mostly has indie games you may never have heard about

| >>677732
steam uri no longer works in steam chat specificly
(steam://connect/1.1.1.1)
which opens and connects to a game when clicked on
theres also steam skins
live trading is dead, its all trade offers now
there is reason not to keep the old library as a option.
gifts can no longer be stored in inv
no more "Looking to play" status
steam makes your life a nigthmare of delays if you don't want to install their app

| ty i'll try out gog no drm sounds sweet as hell

| >>677923 you can downgrade steam to the last version with the old store

| Library not store*

| I don't like the steam library personally I use gog galaxy 2 client since it can show games from other platforms super easy, buy older games on gog and new stuff on steam is what I recommend because gog does their best to make sure it still runs and no drm but devs don't always keep their shit up to date and no workshop if the game uses that

| It stinks that games with multiplayer via Steam can't come over to GOG easily.

I know everyone probably hates Epic Games and their store, but they've released a cross-platform online multiplayer toolkit for game devs that actually doesn't tie you in to their store. I'm dreaming of the day I don't need Steam installed.

| Actually... steam has this one wonderful feature called proton which makes gaming on linux so much easier. And that certainly is a good thing. But the new ui sucks indeed.

| Steam is one of the only online stores fully comitted on supporting linux. Everything they have done for the platform has made me never hesitate on buying there

| >>678530 >>678554
Valve contibutes to countless amazing things however this in no way makes the whole company a group of angles that you should "without hesitation" throw your money at
not to mention this does not help with any of the issues they have needlesly caused
>>678345
developers which that applies to didn't know/care what they ware doing when making multiplayer and just went for the quick and easy aproach and as mutch as i hate the current steam that's not their fault

| >>678558
It's moreso that Steam monopolized the achievement system for PC gaming (M$ comes in a distant second). Implementing multiplayer will always be a beast.

>>678530
Damn, I forgot they were the ones behind that project. As a minor counterpoint, though, GOG actually has a Linux team dedicated to making Linux builds of Windows-only games. You have to remember that GOG is owned by CD Projekt, whose founders were cracking games before its inception. They're surely mad scientists

| honestly GOG is the only alternative for me.. I dont Trust EPIC with a pencil.

Total number of posts: 18, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1594604573

This thread is permanently archived