danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Tech Discussion: Rescue Team DX uses god damn Unity instead of a first-party engine

| That's right, they decided to use Unity. Before anybody starts defending Unity, the reason this sucks is because DX is a Switch exclusive.

Unity is a multiplatform tool and runs like ass on a lot of mobile devices and has performance issues on the Switch.

They could have used an engine made and optimized for the Switch that Nintendo has, but because of god damn Unity, it's slower

Like seriously they get now 30 fps as a cap, worse animations, worse rigging, and all due to Unity

| There are a lot of videos going into specific technical flaws on YouTube, but that's the gist of it.

It's seriously stupid because if they wanted to make a game for multiple platforms then sure Unity seems logical. But a first party game? No reason to.

The game just has to suffer more because of it. Super and Gates used a custom engine. But DX... nope, Unity.

I'm still going to buy it since I love Rescue Team but it's disappointing that they are using this underpowered engine

| I don't know what that game even is

| I don't know what that game even is

|
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX>>21c642

| Oh I see

| Oh I see

| (。ŏ_ŏ) free hate I guess ?

| The demo in general was not as responsive as it should be, especially the menus. That makes yet another Pokemon game with a trash engine.

| wtf is wrong with these retards

| wtf is wrong with these retards

| Just because lots of people don't know how to use the unity ide correctly it doesn't mean the engine is bad.

| Just because lots of people don't know how to use the unity ide correctly it doesn't mean the engine is bad.

| Are you sure it's just not the developers doing spaghetti code?
They could do the same thing in Unreal Engine.

Also I couldn't find any videos about the flaws, any links?

| The engine itself isn't bad, it's just bad for the Switch compared to the official inhouse engines by Nintendo. Unity essentially has performance comparable to the mobile performance on the Switch since the Switch is fairly underpowered, and the limits just cause problems.

This video should explain performance issues leading to model issues. A lot can be improved if they'd use the Switch optimized engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crkXyne3jNs

| I might be a dumbass, but aren't animations as simple as these prerendered ? Like the cpu doesn't calculate all the vertice coordinates, and they're like, compiled into the game ?
Also, the poly count and rigging may change in the future, right ?

| I think it's a waste of time for a developer to mess with a platform exclusive engine. I would rather expect Nintendo devs to help optimizing unity for their platform instead developing exlusive ones.

| I think it's a waste of time for a developer to mess with a platform exclusive engine. I would rather expect Nintendo devs to help optimizing unity for their platform instead developing exlusive ones.

| >>625835 it could change but if they've got a bunch of animations done they won't most likely because they'd have to redo a bunch to fit the new skeleton

As for them being pre rendered, I don't believe so unless it's a pre rendered cutscene, it just has instructions to move bits of the skeleton as far as i can find

| >>625835 it could change but if they've got a bunch of animations done they won't most likely because they'd have to redo a bunch to fit the new skeleton

As for them being pre rendered, I don't believe so unless it's a pre rendered cutscene, it just has instructions to move bits of the skeleton as far as i can find

| I'm not entirely convinced the problem is unity itself, unity supported the vita which is less powerful than your phone, if someone could make games for that thing they can optimize unity enough for the switch imo

| I'm not entirely convinced the problem is unity itself, unity supported the vita which is less powerful than your phone, if someone could make games for that thing they can optimize unity enough for the switch imo

| The problem is Unity is made to be multiplatform. Nintendo's inhouse engines are made specifically to cater to the Switch in processing, rendering, and handling everything since the Switch is drastically different from the PS4 and Xbox. Those two consoles are much, much more powerful than a Switch, since a switch has worse hardware. Hence why so many games are on the PS4, xbox, and PC but not Switch because the Switch has to have a lot of special work and attention just to run well

| This guy explains it better than I can https://mobile.twitter.com/sciresm/status/1215307209363554306?prefetchtimestamp=1581419631861

| Huh. Maybe the devs are just trying something new? Possibility of using the skills to make a mobile port/side game? Easier learning curve than hacking at a new engine?

Spike Chunsoft the one making the Mystery Dungeon games, right? Maybe they got other similar non-pokemon multiplatform games on the line and just want easier transition after Rescue Team DX is done.

Bit disappointing, but just a bit.

| Cross platform compatibility doesn't imply inefficiency. The effort that was put into developing nintendo (switch) specific engines could have been easily spent into making unity more efficient. It's the free (and bad) decision to develop such specific engines. It's also the free (and understandable) decision to use unity instead.

| >>fb3782 spike doesn't make unity or the nintendo engine. unity just is currently worse for switch games than the inhouse engine and since spike can use that engine they should instead use it for optimal performance when the game is a switch exclusive and pokemon

Total number of posts: 27, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1581676173

This thread is permanently archived