danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Language to learn for backend web dev?

| What's the best programming language for backend web development? As in both what are people hiring for and what's just genuinely good? What do y'all use? Is PHP still a thing?

I'm already pretty good at front-end, Javascript and all that, and thinking of going full-stack.

| PHP still very mutch a thing and sticking with it can be good depending on the use case.

But pick literaly any good programing lang and it CAN do backend.

I was just doing stuff in rust needed a rly light API server soo just did it in rust.
In retrospect if anyone ever takes over "Have fun" but as is everything running really smoothley.

| My personal picks are Elixir and Ruby

but Python is also sweet because of that insanely dedicated community unlike that of any other language

and PHP is the original backend web language(though it is a bit frustrating at times)

Javascript is super popular now but I'd advise against it because everything is changing so fast and with so many hard depreciations that it's hard to maintain

Java is shit for web but by companies love it for some reason

| Elixir has high fault tolerance and is super easy to do concurrent processes, plus I'm shamelessly shilling Elixir at every opportunity I get

Ruby has the oh so famous Rails that is pretty and well organized or Sinatra that is the absolute easiest web framework ever to work with but it gets hard to maintain if your project grows too big

BTW dangeru uses Ruby with Sinatra

| Op here. Well, I think my biggest concern for backend dev now is deploying it. In the old days I can just drop an index.php file and go but these days there's like a million steps to get something running? What's a Docker and why do people need it??

Elixir seems interesting! Not a fan of the syntax, but the way it works is nice.

| From what I've seen Python (w/Flask or Django) and Ruby (Rails) are popular choices among web developers. I use both of them on my side projects and both are pretty comfy.

Total number of posts: 6, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1566408385

This thread is permanently archived