danger/u/
Cyberpunk books and manga

| So if you guys have any cyberpunk manga or books you would recommend checking out, post their title etc. here.

| Armitage III

| Obviously Orwell's 1984. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is also a good read. Dunno if some of them got translated into English but the whole Shadowrun Series written bei Markus Heitz is excellent too.

| Blame! is a neat manga btw.

| >>602522
Blame seems pretty good

| >>602521
Haven't read any of these, I'll check them out, thanks.

| Visit, https://dangeru.us/lain/thread/602470 for some good suggestions on cyberpunk manga and books.

| Hey maybe late but check
>Neuromancer
It's pretty cool I found out about it in lainchan

| Necromancer

| >>d191a5
I just bought neuromancer the other week, it's pretty good yeah

| >>605957
>>606260
The whole sprawl trilogy is pretty alright. Neuromancer is the best but if you liked it you should check out Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive as well.

| >>606328
his other trilogies are pretty good too. for me it would be like:
sprawl trilogy ~ apple ii
bridge trilogy ~ bondi blue imac g3
bigend trilogy ~ aluminium powerbook g4

i only read like 50 pages of the peripheral before giving up because i wasn't understanding a single thing. the atmosphere was really cool, especially the whole future cyber redneck thing.

| i also reccomend max headroom (the tv series). it was surprisingly good and the asthetics were pure 80s kino, like the entwork xxiii building being cross shaped.

| For a cyberpunk manga I would recommend Eden it's an Endless World.

| lots of great cyberpunk manga, one i can really recommend if youre into more atmospheric stuff is Blame!
really good for something with almost no dialogue

| >>607079
Gibson's writing style is...frustrating. I'm not a native english speaker but I generally like to read in english. Neuromancer was the first book I've read that forced me to read some chapters multiple times and have a dictionary at my side all the time just to understand what was going on. It's definitely a book that benefits from multiple readings. I've never read the peripheral but I imagine it's the same deal or worse.

| Ghost in the Shell is a natural choice, manga and anime

| Blames author Tsutomu Nihei also made another cyberpunk-ish story called Noise. It's a one shot.

All of Ghost In The Shell's mediums are some of the best cyberpunk around of all time

As far as suggestions/mentions, I am surprised no one has spoke of Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita. Now that is a classic cyberpunk manga.

| Has anyone read/heard Qualityland? It's only kinda Cyberpunk and more dystopia but it has (potentially) sentient AI and a more unusual take on it. (It's a satire)

| Neil Stephenson's Snow Crash is fun, it's definitely a little satirical of cyberpunk but worth reading in its own right as well.

| Most books by Phillip K. Dick, especially "Ubik" and "Do androids drram of electric sheep?"

| Most books by Phillip K. Dick, especially "Ubik" and "Do androids drram of electric sheep?"

| Reading is for pussies, hit the gym.

| Wel there's Electric Sheep (Blade Runner), Neuromancer, Snow Crash, and maybe even Ready Player One

| Gibson's writing feels extremely smokescreen and pretentious. He's like trying to impress you by talking about that French butter put on a Scandinavian plate next to the Ono-Sendai last model technolyzer on that Shanghai-built table, but there is no substance behind those pretty names.
Cut those pedantic descriptions and the size of his books is cut by half.
And let's not even mention his boomer rambling about the next-gen Japanese schoolgirls. Sounds like 90s marketing.

| >>626007 well that's one way to see it

|
>>2b4eef
tru

| Neil Stephenson's The Diamond Age was actually good and really original. Although it is not quite cyberpunk, it's more like nanopunk and the ending is less interesting, than the beginning, you can definitely check it out.

| >>602513 >>602522 >>623584
Based

| Snow Crash fucking rocks

| "Harmony" is kinda okay, it's an anime cyberpunk-ish movie. Go check it out.

| >>602521 The greatest tragedy of kraut Shadowrun is that the English stuff isn't based on or translated from it and probably never will.

| No Guns Life tends to focus on the Noir aspect of a cyberpunk dystopia. It's pretty interesting, but the cyberpunk theme is more of a background.

| It was already mentioned once, but Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita and its sequels are a must-read. Both the worldbuilding and the characters are top-notch and the artwork and designs are some of the best I've seen. There's also two OVAs that were launched in the 90's, and the movie launched last year, but I can't tell you about those, since i only read the manga and its sequels.

| "Press Enter" by John Varley.

| Futu.re seems like it was good, it was fucking long and i had to return it to the library before i could finish it, but it was pretty fine. The writer is Dmitri Glujovski, who also has written the metro saga

| Any good books that are actually recent? Neuromancer and Snow Crash are great, but I’d love a cyberpunk story with modern computing and hacking techniques.

| I read the manga Pluto recently, would recommend.

| It's a bit before the cyberpunk aesthetic, but Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut is a good one. It's about automation causing unemployment.

| SNOW CRASH is a classic [main characters name is Hiro Protagonist LOL] and READY PLAYER ONE was actually good, if maybe not quite AS cyberpunky

| Resentment. Kinda early cyberpunk vibes with vr waifus.

| Try "Origin" or "EX-ARM". Both Manga are good.

| There is this game called "Possessioner" for PC-98. I must admit it was my first taste of cyberpunk genre in my life. Backrounds and art are amazing but it's mostly a yuri game.

| If you want a great manga of cyberpunk dystopia, try the "Gunnm" series, including "Gunnm Last order" masterpieces of old cyb mangas ^^

| Floofy Motoko Kusanagi should be animated

| It's not cyberpunk, but I think it's very familiar. Bruce Sterling "Swarm".

| Ghostrunner, if you're into that kinda one hit one kill game

| Pumpum its the manga, ITS THE MANGAAAA

| There's a new book on amazon called The Salvage Crew. It's told from the perspective of a post human AI and the way the author used OpenAI and some python code to make the story is neat.

| The Unabomber manifesto is probably what cyberpunk angst is if it's in written form.

Also, I second Blame!. Excellent manga btw.

| Deus Ex: Icarus Effect and Deus Ex: Black Light are decently good for being video game tie-in novels

| Rx A Tale of Electronegativity

| Hi

| Lukyanenko's Labyrinth of reflections. Goddamn Russian classic from late 90s

| Play cyberpunk 2020

| Hmm

| >>678991
Snow Crash is awesome, especially if you're a fan of VR.
I'd also highly recommend Feed by M. T. Anderson, totally awesome cyberpunk novel that basically predicted cellphone addiction and the social media culture we have today way back in 2002

| Read anything from Ray Bradburi, not everything is cyberpunk but most of his books have cyberpunkish tales and the ones that arent futuristic still are great.

| Ergo Proxy is worth a watch.

| >>19559b I'm just watching it on Netflix.
totally worth it.

| Yay! Glad you like it!

| //(::)Nihei is a great mangaka of cyber-transhumanism//>>28d1ed

| //(::)Cyber-transhumanism exist?//
//I think not sure//

| oiopipoioipo

|

| Gotta recommend the webcomic Drugs and Wires, it takes place in a dreary 1995 alt timeline Russia and its fucking fantastic

| Brave New World, surprised no-one suggested it. Metro 2033 and it's sequels, Roadside Picnic, Foundation series, Dune, 2001 A Space Odyssey. There's a lot of classics

| Brave New World, surprised no-one suggested it. Metro 2033 and it's sequels, Roadside Picnic, Foundation series, Dune, 2001 A Space Odyssey. There's a lot of classics

| >>775194
Oops, didn't intend to doublepost

| Although not really cyberpunk, 1984, Cryptonomicon and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep are my personal favorites. Gibson's books don't really "speak" to me.

| siema kacper staroń ???????????????????????????????????????? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ???? ????????????????????????

| Neuromancer is a must read but the other books in Gibson's sprawl trilogy are great as well. I liked Count zero especially.

| Surprised no one mentioned Akira yet, the manga of course. The movie, unfortunately, is just a stripped down version of it.

| Late but Accelerando is peak cyberpunk, at least to me.
You can find it online pretty easily.

| >>806763 I swear I mentioned it before in this thread, but yes.

Accelerando is like a road map of where we should be headed.

| snowcrash is great. meta-universe is awesome

| Willian Gibson's novels are really good to start with cyberpunk literature, specially the sprawl trilogy. Besides Gibson, Philip K Dick has also some really good books, although some are not entirely cyberpunk, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheeps (aka Blade Runner) is really cyberpunk-ish. In terms of manga, I really recommend Akira and Ghost in The Shell, I know they are the most popular ones, but they are really good and probably the best mangas of the genre

| Anyone read The Diamond Age? Its by the same author who wrote Snow Crash.

| l984 is more of a dystopian story rather than cyberpunk imo.

| Some non-fiction stuff as well
>Crypto - History of Cypherpunks and Cryptowars

| I'm completely in love with the Ghost in the Shell mangá and animé, lore and all. I also love Phillip K Dick, as it was said below. William Gibson's Neuromancer, also think it's his best novel.
Akira Mangá and Animé, Lain, maybe Cowboy Bebop Animé... Matrix, Animatrix...those two are obvious.
I like a novel that's from an author for the Netz, called 'Of Drugz and Wires', it's a Cyberpunk Comic, rly interesting, y'all should take a look.

| Good stuff

| Not sure if it's been mentioned in here but the Altered Carbon book series is *much* better than the show. Season 2 they basically grabbed bits & pieces from the 3 following books for.

Altered Carbon is the first book & the most cyberpunk of them.

| Check out Ghost In the Shell

| Lol

| >>612635 I usually like to read books in English as well, even though its not my native language, but with Gibson novels I think its quite beneficial not to. I read Neuromancer in my native lang and am currently reading Pattern Recognition, which is significantly easier to understand than Neuromancer, I quite like it so far.

It's totally fair to dislike Gibson though imo, he may have struck gold with Neuromancer initially but he's no untouchable god or anything.

| It might not be directly Cyberpunk but i consider Roadside Picnic to be a n excellent read and can touch on some of the similar themes considering that while The Zone brings wonders and miracles to the people of the world there is still very much the issues endemic to human culture and experience.

| Try Yokohama kaidashi kikou.
Actually it's more about post-apo alypse than cyberpunk, but at least the main character is an android.

| >>602521
But 1984 isn't cyberpunk.

| >>44033d
itz cybercringe.

| Aposimz by Tsutomu Nihei (author of blame and knights of sidonia)

| I know this isn’t super obscure but Akira’s pretty good

|

| Does anyone have the high tech low life "bike" manifesto? Been looking for it for ages now

| >>879255 that seems interesting what was it about?

| I'm glad people mentioned Snow Crash, that book is great. I'll also say the comic series for Judge Dredd is pretty interesting + the stallone movie is great. The graphic novel Megalex is awesome. Oh and Morbus Gravis of the Druuna series is amazing also. Technically these are all graphic novels and not Japanese manga, but if you like cyberpunk these titles will not disappoint. (The Druuna series can be pretty adult oriented, fyi)

| >>626007
Replying very late, but do you mind if I ask wtf is a next-gen japanese schoolgirl?

Also, Kowloon Generic Romance is a great (so far) cyberpunk manga. It's Kowloon is very different from real life Kowloon, even admitedly so. I feel the author somehow portrays it in a way akin to Kowloon's ethos, not it's real life counterpart, which is sweet.

>>855954
Great fucking recommendation, not cyberpunk at all, but what a fucking great way to show a "gentle" apocalypse.

| >>827862
Would you mind posting a link to this? I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

| >>827862

| >>827862

| >>827862

| Whoops, didn't mean to doublepost.

| >>894225 >>894226 >>894227 >>894228 >>894229

This seems to be the closest: https://sourcecrypto.pub/posts/Bitcoin/pre-history/cypherpunks/

A repository of stuff discussing cypherpunks.

| does patlabor 2 count?

| Dai Dark & Dorohedoro are good. Some of the other shit by Tsutomu Nihei is pretty good too, like NOiSE and Biomega. I'd recommend reading his other early 2000s and late 90s manga too.

| There's a giant image of a Spanish newspaper on the site >>794352 linked to, can anyone translate it? I kinda want to see what it says

| yall fking gays, read Neuromancer

| >>8c7480 yeah thats a pretty nice prequel

| Are there any good ones that recently released? I wanna read some stuff that’s new and all

| bladerunner

| >>616476 Onlt the first book but it is indeed pretty good. I could easily see parts of that world being more classic cyberpunk-ish. (But the overal tone of it is more political-satire)

| Neuromancer
Count Zero
Monalisa Overdrive
Blade Runner
SnowCrash
I, Robot
Metropopolis
The Peripheral
The Hyena's Smile
The Institute
Yasuke
Altered Carbon

All of those are Books or Novels, and pretty much helped to sculpt the concept of "Cyberpunk" that we've created

| cybercock

| >>9a184a
Might want to give Accelerado a read. It leans a bit more transhumanist than cyberpunk, but it'sin the same vein, with a focus on human interactions with a.i. and what the digitization of consciousness could lead to, in a fairly balanced manner.

You could easily see it as hopeful or horrific, depending on personal politics and beliefs.

| as said before , Gunnm, it's one if not my favorite manga license, the author still writing another one too

| Vurt by Jeff Noon was insanely fun to read.

| >>958189

Never ever in all my life I had heard of it before, but I will surely give it a Go pretty soon!

Should've read the full thread, there pretty nice stuff in here.

Also; I'm surprised nobody mentioned Gunnm Yet, since it's an classic manga.
Another one wich worth a shot is Chobbits if you can ignore the amount of Ecchi that it has.

| Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

| Do Androids dream of electric sheep is good. A Scanner darkly is better

| >>972718
yeah it's pretty good, quite different than the movie adaptation

| Anything by Baudrillard is good albeit nonfiction.

| huh

| I see you have a good website but your site is not ranking, so you're realling missing out on a lot of potential customers.

I had the same problem recently but I discovered a great SEO tool online that helped me improve my ranking and got me a whole lot of visitors in a matter of days.

You can check the tool here: https://ourseotool.com

Opt out of future messages by replying to the message and saying opt out.
dangeru.us

| >>1007171 now this looks like danger/u/ heck yea

Total number of posts: 125, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1710172271

Refresh