danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
(Bar) The Lock & Barrel Tavern

| >After what seems like... months? Years? This venerable bar has reopend its large, oaken doors to an environment that is at once familiar and yet vaguely unwelcoming. Is it the dust lining every bit of furniture? The lighting in dire need of replacement? The faded upholstery, and the vintage wooden bar counter with one too many bullet holes, knife stabs, and charred wood?

>No, those have always been there- the average denizen probably treated them as part of the charm. Well, aside from the dust. The Lock and Barrel has a reputation to keep and something is unnervingly disreputable about it at the moment.

>That, and its bartender... a woman who should be in her mid to late twenties, but on closer inspection looks like she's far older. Verana has large bags under her eyes, and her brunette hair looks faded, almost half heartedly colored. Her clothing looks like it was pressed recently, but it has a very "newish" in appearance, as if it had just recently been pulled off an assembly line and violently shoved on.

>As you creak open the door to the bar, the woman, who up until that point looks like she had been zoning out into space, slowly lights up- just a little bit, as if her muscles suddenly remembered why she was here. Her lips form a plastic grin.

"...Welcome to the Lock and Barrel." >She says, her hands both flat on the table.

"...what may I serve you?"

| ”Very... Speakable institution. So, whatever.“
> Handsome, but not eye-catching man in green-plaid shirt and silver-colored vest sit in front of bartender. His eyes were covered by transparent AR-glasses, and he was watching at bullet holes with interest. Then he looked at woman.
”Can you make me Old-Fashioned, cutie?“

| >A couple enter the bar as well, one was a girl in her late twenties, with a dazzling smile and a wavy long hair. Another was a man dressed in a jacket. Following them is a husky, panting heavily.

"...and that's why you don't run top speed for half an hour."

>The man says.

"Cut him some slack, Red, he's just enthusiastic. Fenrir! Here!"

>The girl replies, throwing a dog treat, which the dog happily snatches and chomps down in one go, with a complimentary 'woof'.

| >The girl pets the dog on the head while it eats while the man turns to greet the bartender.

"Uh, hey, hi, can we get a sugar rush, no karmotrine, and a beer, please?"

| >>704719

>The woman's uneasy smile seems to grow genuine for a moment, and you see a bit of color return to her face as she moves to make you an Old Fashioned.

"Sure. Want any fruit besides orange? I have strawberries available."

>>704724 >>704725

"One sugar rush hold the karmotrine, and a beer, coming up..."

>She reappears with a basket of fruit.

"...BTC style beer, or an actual beer?"

| >>704772
"An actual beer, if you could manage."

>The man replies

"..and do you guys serve food here?"

| >>704780

"Sometimes, but not right now."

>She blinks, then looks under the table...

>... and reappears with a bag of potato chips! Ranch flavored.

"...but we do have these at the moment. What kind of beer would you like?"

| >>704796
"That would be great, thank you, and what kind of beer do you have?"

>The man looks at the chips and examine the labels.

>Meanwhile the girl comes over and join him on at the bar. She ordered the dog to sit, the command which the dog obeys. The dog waggles his tail as she pets it again and reach for another treat.

| >>704772
> Man smiles slightly.
”Thanks, cutie.“
> He took a sip.
”Good, good.“
> Customer's sight renounced, but it has been seen as waves of information flow in front of his eyes on glasses UI.

| >A tall woman enters the bar, she wears a nun outfit, decorated with AR augments and luminous strips, along with several crosses and Rosaries adorning her arms.
>Her white hair covers most of her face, but her smile is easily seen. Her teeth are sharp.
"Been a while since I went out into town"
>She says, approaching the counter with a large wave
"Yo, can this gal get a gin tonic or whatever the BTC passes for a drink like it?"

| >>704988

"Brandywine Meade, Darkwinter Double Stout, uh..." >You see the woman's face shift and reveal color for once...

"...Pissywater Lager, and last but not least, Sunshine Weissbier."

>These chips appear to be manufactured by Lolicious Consumer Products, a wholly owned division of the /burg/ brand burgers family of restaurants! The advertising on the back proudly proclaims FEATURING ORGANIC RANCH from the PLANTS MAY CRY SERIES.

>A smaller label further ensures diners that the chips are at least 60% potatomeal, which is enough to be classified as potato chips.

>She notices the girl arrive with her doggo.

"Cute canine. What may I get you?"

>>705091

>Verana smiles, and-

"..."

"..."

>She blinks- a little spark of understanding returns to her otherwise "zoned out" expression.

"...boss? Is that you?"

>>705095

"One gin and tonic coming up..."

| >>705174
"I'll take the Lager."

>He says as he casually rips open the bag of chips and eat one.

>The girl turns around to acknowledge your comments.

"Oh, thank you. I'll have a sugar rush, I guess this idiot overhere forgot to order for me."

"I did order for you! Just ask the bartender."

| >>705174
>The Nun seems surprised
"Dang, you got the stuff itself? some special liscence owner huh, today's this gal's lucky day!"
>She sits down, laughing loudly as she does, her many crosses and rosaries clanking loudly as she does
"It's long ass days like these where I wish the BTC would get that karmotrine tastes like rat piss disolved in muddy water to those with augmented palates"

| >>705174
>Man's sight came to life. He turned head and saw a woman. He missed that face for years.
”Verana. What a surprise. How are you? Didn't think you like to visit bars at the end of working week.“
>He noticed his glass is ran out of "Old Fashioned". He looked at Verana.
”What do you want to drink? My treat.“

| >>705188

>The bartender smiles as she passes the glass full of cute, pink drink toward the girl.

"Right you are."

>>705197

"We do. Though at the same time, I think we only serve a BTC menu to accommodate those with a taste for the stuff..."

>>705321

>The bartender takes a closer look at the man, then blinks a few times before her face blushes...

"...Ah... I apologize, I seem to have... uh... mistaken you for someone else."

"That said, I haven't visited a bar outside work in what feels like... years?" >She rubs her forehead.

"...months? It's all hazy to me..."

| >>705450
"See? I didn't forget."

"Alright, alright, I doubted you."

>The girl says and gives him a peck in the cheek before turning to the bartender and catching the drink.

"Thank you!"

>She says as she take a sip once again and turns to take one of the chips from the man's bag.

| >>705450
Everybody in the bar can see that man's eyes have abnormal color and signes of using drugs. He crunches his neck.
”Sanny? Sanny, good to see you, brother! I thought you died three years ago. Stop, you're not Sanny. Who are you? Who the fuck are you?“
Man pokes by finger at the ceiling.
Bang! His sight clears up. Head falls to the bar counter.
”Make me «Piledriver», cutie.“

| >Another figure enters the bar, it was a women clad in all black and grey clothing. She had a half mask and a beanie on, which hide most of her face and head, save only her blue eyes and long golden hair. Her eyes darted around the bar before ending up fixed on the nun(>>705197). Which she silently walks over.

"SAINT, is it?"

>The girl quietly greets the nun. She talks with a faint slavic accent, though her pronounciations were clear enough to be easily understood.

| >>705745
>The nun turns her eyes to face you, downing her glass of Gin tonic before exhaling loudly
"Puwah! yep, that's me. You got business with this ol' servant of god?"
>She asks, placing her glass back on the counter
>>705450
"Good mixin' tender, just strong enough"
*She laughs loudly*

| >>705809
"Wrath sent me."

>The girl simply replies. She had a cloak which covers most of her body down to the knees, and there's a high-end bolt-action rifle hung from the sling looped over her shoulder. Anybody paying enough attention would have also seen another gun under the cloak when she opened the door to the establishment.

"I heard you are the contract."

| >>705819
"Oh, the old man? I heard he had something planned, so you're the one ehhh?"
>She stares at you up and down, her eyes barely hidden beneath the impressive ammount of hair covering her face, her mouth opens up in a smile, revealing sharp teeth
"Yep, you seem like a tough cookie, you'll do nicely"
>She motions to the seat next to her
"Let's talk business then shall we, maybe clear up some details and have a good time?"

| >>705828
"Ouh, I'll take you up on that, I gotta get the night's worth eh?"
>The ramboucious nun exclaims, smiling

| >>705821
>The girl nods and walks over to take a seat near the nun and turns to look at the bartender.

>>705831
"нет, not on my watch, it won't be going off unless I want it to."

>She said, before browsing the menu for a few seconds and ordering.

"I'll have a moonblast, thank you."

| >>705501

"Right..."

>The bartender sighs and moves on to making the man's drink.

>>705809

>The bartender smirks.

"I try. Want another?"

>>705819

>The tender nods to the newcomer as she returns behind the bar.

"Welcome to the Lock and Barrel. I hope those pieces you have don't go *off* around here. What can I get you?"

>>705188

>Moments later, a cold bottle of Pissywater Lager makes its way to your hand.

>>705843

(There was a posting error, this post goes before the one I've linked above. Sorry about that.)

| >>705843

"One moonblast coming up..."

>Verana says.

| >>705831
"Hey, thanks."

>The man make a little gesture with the bottle of lager before popping it open and taking a swig. The girl that came with him crunch down on the chips and take a tiny little sip from the glass. Their dog just sits there expectantly at his owners, tongue out with audible breathing.
>The girl noticed this and pets it again, which quickly turns into a full-on hug as she kneels down and pet it on the back.
>The man smiles at this and take another swig

| >>705843
>The nun turns to face you, having asked for another drink
"So, you're Iskra right?"
>Her hair moves along with her as she moves a hand around to emphasize each of her words
"I'm Superbia, it's good to meetcha!"

| >>705853
"Yes, that is me. Good to meet you as well, Superbia."

>Iskra replies, turning back to you.

| >>705855
"Hmn hmn, indee--d!"
>She offers you a hand to shake, her rosaries look uncomfortable to grip...
"So, about the job, ya mind if I explain the gists right away?"

| >>705859
>Iskra takes your hand and shakes it. Her grip was firm, but somewhat awkward. She gave it one good shake and let it go. The expression in her eyes gives nothing away.

"Go ahead."

| >>705843

>Without further ado, a Moonblast smoothly glides across the bar counter to your hand.

| >>705937
>Iskra catches the glass and takes a look at the drink, lightly shaking the glass around before pulling down her mask to drink it, revealing her face in the process.
>One could say that she's reasonably attracive, although she's a bit on the pale and thin side. Her face is almost expressionless, though you could catch a glimpse of her grinning for half a second after a swig from the glass.

| >>705863
"So, Flooded right? Wack spot. Not too long ago, go figure some device that got abandonned DEEP in there suddenly starts to emmit data"
>Superbia waves her hand around
"That's the thing we want you to get back, in one piece... only problem is that most of ther recon bots Warden sent got caught by well, something"
>She shrugs
"So that's why we need people, y'know with agency"

| >>706418
>Iskra watches and listens as Superbia explains the mission. Once she was sure Superbia finished, she starts talking again.

"Do we know what this 'something' is?"

| >>706543
"It'll be a package, atleast 30cm wide, covered by a metal craddle, it emits a signal so you'll be able to pick it up right away... just the thing is heavy, so hold it carefully, we're talking about 60 pounds for the whole thing"

| >>706546
>Superbia smiles and lifts another finger
"And there's two of em"

| >>706547
"...and do we know about what caught your recon bots?"

>Iskra continues

| >>706664
"Nope, not a clue!"
>Superbia laughs, holding a hand to her forehead

| >Iskra takes another swig from her glass as she listens to Superbia.

"Well, let's hope it's not bulletproof. Now, would I have a partner? Or do I need to call my own."

| >>705846
>After a while, the girl finally gets out of her little embrace with the hound. She feeds it another dog biscuit and goes back to her seat.

"Uh, excuse me, do you know where the restroom is?"

>She asks the bartender.

| >A purple haired lilim walks in. They look around and start walking towards the bar.

| >>705501

>After what seems like forever, the Piledriver has made its way to your hand... it appears that the bartender is distracted by someone... a certain lilim that just walked in.

>>706847

>The bartender snaps out of it briefly and motions to the back of the bar- you see that there's a stage there as well, which hasn't seen use in some time.

"Behind the stage, on your left."

>After giving the directions, she looks back to >>706895 .

"...what a surprise." >The bartender says, smirking.

"Of all your team, I didn't expect to see *you* here."

| >>706897
>Nym raises an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry, I don't believe we've met before. Then again, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. We aren't exactly good at keeping our heads low. The name's Nym."

| >>706899

>The woman raises a hand to her lips to suppress a chuckle, but not too well.

"I'm aware- unfortunately that's part of my job. Nice to meet you in the silicon, Nym. The geekboy must be busy if you came in his stead."

| >>706895
>Superbia gives the walking lilim a long stare, a smile dawns on her face as the crosses tied to her dingle around
"That's the one, huh, ahah, I got a face to put on her now."
>>706846
"Warden told me someone else had signed in, now we only wait for them to arrive"
>She says, turning back to Iskra

| >>706901
"When isn't he busy?"

>Nym sighs.

"Actually came here to borrow a booth but if there's anything you need me to relay to him, I'll deliver the message"

>As Nym talks, something grabs their attention. They look around, confused. Something... different is here but they can't quite pinpoint it. Oh. There it is. Some lady in a... very loud and obnoxious outfit. With crosses on it.

"...... great."

| >>706905
>She waves at you with a smile on her face
"Hiya!"
>She says, loudly

| >>706907
>Nym gives a restrained wave

"Hi."

>They frown a bit and get a bit tense.

"You're one of them, aren't you...?"

| >>706905
>"When isn't he busy?"

"When he's supposed to be *dead*." >The woman replies, ending uncomfortably on the last word. Her expression changes to something between resting murderface and your default one for all but a second.

>She blinks.

"...but it's a relief that he yet lives, and so do you, apparently." >The bartender suddenly and quickly makes a drink in front of you, creating a... Suplex? She pushes it forward to you...

"On me. In return, I only ask that you ask him to visit us sometime. It has been... a veeeeery long time." >She grins.

>Booth

"Oh, certainly. Is your entire party available, or will it only be you?"

| >>706909
"Yeahhh, he's not great at staying like that. And neither am I, apparently"

>Nym takes the drink.

"Thanks. I'll.. let him know. And just me for now. My associate isn't here yet"

| >>706908
"I dunno what you mean sugar, but I know you met ol' bossman, scary experience huh"
>The nun exclaims, laughing in between almost all her words, she puts her empty glass upon the counter with a slap to her knee from her unused hand
"Yo, tender, can this gal get a refill, I just got in a good mood again!"

| >>706910

>Verana nods.

"When you're all ready, let me know and I'll give you a key."

>>706911

"Right away..."

>The tender gets to making the nun's next drink...

| >>706911
"If we're thinking of the same guy, then yeah. It was a... harrowing experience."

>They pause to think.

"Would you be... Superbia by any chance?"

>>706912
"Thanks, will do..."

| >>706913
"Heya, yep that's me"
>Superbia makes a peace sign

| >>706918
"Great. So everyone just knows me now, huh?"

>Nym sighs.

| >>706921
"Hey, me and mister bossman don't talk about a lot of stuff, I'm the one surprised you got brought up in the first place!"
>The nun exclaims, she seems to think it's the funniest thing ever
"Who was it that told you about me though? That I'm Re--ally curious about sugar"
>She elongates her sentence, pushing a finger forward

| >>706922
>Nym shrugs

"I've asked around a lot regarding this. You can never really have too much information"

| >>706923
"Well, Glad to see I'm so popular, makes me blush a tad now don't it? this gal likes the attention though"
>Superbia nods to herself, and shows a huge smile to you, her teeth are sharp like those of a shark.
"Well, if you got any inquiries sugar, I'm busy right now, but I'm sure we'll talk again rea--l soon"

| >>706924
"I'm sure we will."

>Nym raises their glass and drinks before moving further down the bar to wait for their companion.

| >And, wait they do.

>...

>......

| >>706925 >>706926
>The moment you begin contemplating whether or not you should hit up your contacts to ask why the fuck they're dragging their asses in getting here, they appear in the bar's doorway. Two gentlemen stand muttering to one another, neither of them looking particularly thrilled to have arrived.

"Did >>>they want to meet us here, or was this>>>your bright idea, Roy?"

>The shorter of the two surveys the bar with a look of displeasure.

| >>706930
>Nym spots the two and gives a wave

"Hey"

>>706912
>Nym quickly turns to the barkeeper

"They're here"

| >>706932
>The taller man looks like he's either ignoring the shorter one, or trying to pick out someone from among the bar's current patrons. He doesn't answer. The more irate of the two shakes his head, and huffs.

"Not willing to take credit for this act of brilliance, huh? So humble; just like you..."

>Nym receives a polite wave in return, and the two men step forward into the tavern proper.

"Evening. You are?"

| >>706932 >>706934

"...and so they are." >The bartender says, sizing up the two men with a critical eye. She recognizes the taller one almost immediately- it's the shorter that she's taking stock of.

"...long time no see. Welcome back to the Lock and Barrel-" >She nods slightly,

"...how may I serve you?"

| >>706934
>Nym extends a hand.

"The name's Nym"

| >>706936
"... Max. It's a pleasure."

>Roy's less than personable companion takes Nym's hand. A firm, formal shake-- devoid of any enthusiasm, or warmth... While these two members of the party exchange introductions, Roy greets the bartender.

>>706935
"Ah... yeah, it >>>has been quite a while, hasn't it?"

>He's surprised she remembers him. Did he leave that much of an impression during his last visit? Maybe she'd overheard him singing in that booth they'd all holed up in...

| >>706940

"Indeed. And judging from you standing before me, I guess..." >She looks over at Max...

"... things have been going pleasantly."

| >Nym does their best to be friendly, despite the other's stiffness.

"Thanks for meeting coming. Once we get a key to the booth, we can settle in and start talking"

| >>706902

> Dusty finally arrived, dressed in her usual moto-racing gear, looking a little worse for wear. Her clothing looked more unkempt that normal, but it didn’t seem to bother her. She was supposed to meet someone for a new job, but wasn’t even given a description of what they look like

> She sighed as she scanned all around, hoping that she’d stick out enough that they’d notice her first so she wouldn’t have to play a guessing game

| >>706943

>Verana waves in your direction!

"Welcome to the Lock & Barrel, what may I serve you?"

| >>706941
>Roy rubs the back of his neck apprehensively, initially unsure of how to answer this seemingly innocuous, yet oddly cryptic-sounding statement. He catches the 'tender's little glance at Max... and /immediately/ reads /much/ farther into this simple "how're things?" than he should.

"Oh, ah... well, I--"

>Oh jesus christ, let's hurry and clear this up-- he's just a /coworker/--

"I... suppose so? Unfortunately, I'm not here for leisure today."

>He nods towards Max.

| >>706947

>Verana thinks for a moment as she sizes up the three of you...

"...Ah. I see... in that case, what may I get you and your... acquaintance in the meantime?"

| >>706945

“Err... hi. Yeah. Can I get a cobalt Velvet for now? I’m supposed to be meeting someone here for something. Thanks, or whatever”

> Dusty walks closer to the bar itself, still scanning around to see if she can tell who her mark is supposed to be

| >Roy smiles, and holds up a couple of fingers as he makes his request.

"Could I get two Sugar Rushes, please? One with karmotrine, and one without?"

>Having accepted Nym's thanks, Max decides to cut in on Roy's order-- dryly, he grumbles:

">>>Heavy on that one with the karmotrine, please. Going to be a long night."

>Roy gives him a dirty look, to which he responds with nothing more than a raised eyebrow.

| >>706955

>The bartender moves to making your Cobalt Velvet...

>>706956

>The bartender nods.

"One full karmotrine sugar rush, and one virgin sugar rush, coming up..."

| >>706958
>Nym sighs and just downs their drink

"... Another please"

| >>706955
>You soon notice a nun, smiling at you as she waves

| >>706959

>The bartender's not had this much work to do in a long time-

"In a minute honey, one suplex coming soon to a theater near you-"

| >>706961
"No worries"

| >>706955

>A cobalt velvet gently slides into your hand...

>>706956 >>706962

>Followed closely by two sugar rushes, one with EXTRA karmotrine, and a suplex... with a small, oddly shaped key sitting on top of a small cocktail umbrella. It looks like a square attached to a fob.

"Just press it into the booth. Number 39." >Verana says, winking.

"Thank you for your patronage."

| >>706965
"Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll cover all the drinks"

>Nym gives a smile and heads over to the booth, waiting for the other two to follow along

| >>706966

>Verana nods as you leave. They appear to be going to one of a series of discreet, totally enclosed booths in a corner of the bar that seem to have small doors which open and close, snugly ensconcing the users. Through means unknown to you, it seems to be literally impossible to hear what's being said or done on the other side of said doors.

| >>706897
>The girl smiles.

"Thank you!"

>She turns to the man, who is eat some more chips, having drained his glass of drink.

"I'll be right back, take care of Fenrir for me, and don't you dare get him drunk!"

"I won't, I won't"

>The man promises, attempting to hold in a laugh.
>The woman walks over to the restroom, at first keeping an eye on the man and the dog, but then turn her attention to the stage.
>Meanwhile the man throws the dog a chip, which it catches mid-air.

| >>706965
>Roy chirps a cordial "Thank you!" to the bartender, and is about to quite literally follow in Nym's footsteps when Max tells him to halt, and drop the drinks. Roy places them gently back on the counter with a frown and a roll of his eyes, while Max leans in towards Verana-- wanting to make sure she hears him over the growing din of the tavern.

"... Could I trouble you to add just a >>>touch more sugar to this Sugar Rush?"

>He points towards the one loaded with karmo.

| >>706971
"You know, just so... >>>he doesn't feel left out--"

>Max jerks a thumb in Roy's direction.

"-- and >>>I don't feel like I'm drinking on the clock."

>He flashes a wry grin, and chuckles quietly.

| >>706971 >>706972

>Verana nods.

"How... thoughtful of you." >She says, making a gesture similar to that one chef meme with the dude sprinking salt onto food. Except its sugar.

"Here you are."

| >>706974
>Roy scoffs, and walks off with a shake of his head towards >>706966.

>Meanwhile, Max grabs the two Sugar Rushes, looking rather pleased. He bows his head a little in thanks, and makes a mental note to tip Verana, later.

"Perfect. Thanks much."

>It's off to the booth for him, as well. Once there, he ushers the other two inside. Ladies first.

| >>706977
>The lilim obliges and climbs in first.

| >>706978 >>706977
>Roy glares at Max, and says flatly:

"I sit on the outer edge of the booth."

"Since >>>when?"

>Max feigns ignorance. This playing dumb isn't particularly hard for Roy to spot, given that... it's /Max/ doing it, and that Roy knows the guy works with patients who have all sorts of conditions limiting mobility. The orthopedist is very much aware of how difficult it is for someone to get out of a booth this size with a disability like Roy's; trust me.

| >>706981
>Roy glances down at his legs, then back up at his ex co-worker.

"Since these quit working like they were >>>supposed to about 25 years ago, Max. Stop being an ass."

>Max would wave his hands in mock defense if he weren't holding drinks in each one... with an uncaring shrug, he sidles inside first, and Roy ducks in second before shutting the booth's door firmly behind them. Once both are situated, Max slides him a Sugar Rush.

| >A man wearing a long green jacket with a fur-trimmed hood pushes the door open and peeks his head in before stepping inside.

| >>706982
>Nym just looks so overwhelmingly stressed and tired but does their best to not bash their head against the side of the booth with this exchange.

"So... let's get to business...?"

| >>706986
>Max folds his arms one over the other on the table in front of him, and stares at Nym expectantly. You're the one who asked him to show up; surely /you're/ the one who knows what this is all about. He gestures wordlessly at them to go on. Roy puts on his best "I look like I'm actively listening" face, tries to imagine he's elsewhere, and takes a large swig of his Sugar Rush.

| >>706987
"Alright so er..."

>Nym pauses to gather their thoughts.

"First off, I'd like to apologize for whatever you witnessed at the house. I wasn't there but... knowing my friends, it was undoubtedly a drekshow."

>They take a sip of their drink and wait for his reply.

| >>706985

"Welcome to the Lock & Barrel, how may I help you?"

| >>706989
>If you were expecting a polite "Oh, no-- it wasn't that bad," or even a civil "I accept your apology", you're going to be sorely disappointed, because you're certainly not getting either one of those from Dr. Edison. He blinks slowly, and raises his eyebrows-- yes, yes, continue; let's not waste time talking about things already well-established.

| >>706991
"Okay so second, are the preparations to be made for the surgery. From my understanding, you'll have your own team but the question is the facility where the procedure will be done. And that, is the problem. We have access to a clinic. It... isn't currently operating but we can get it stocked for the operation. I understand that this is a problem and that the dean isn't going to sign off on it and that's why I wanted to talk to you. To explain to you why... it really should be done there, as opposed to just any hospital"

| >>706965 >>706960
> Dusty grabs her drink and waves to the bartender, as if saying she’ll be back. She moves her way towards the nun and sets her drink down, seeing the other girl there too. She takes a drink and gets comfortable before speaking

“So, you’re the one with that job in the Flooded? Not the kind of person I was expecting but hey, it happens.”

| >>707004
>Iskra narrows her eyes, her gaze fixated on you. Moments later she shakes her head, shrugs and take another drink from her glass.

| >>707009
> Dusty stares back, squinting at first and then opening her eyes up as if realising something

“Oh!! You’re that girl who came by to buy a muffler from my chop shop! It was I–.... Y–.... Eileen...? Right? You’re in on this too?? That’s wiz!”

> she felt as if she’d gotten the name right, but she also felt that she must have been wrong somehow, given the look back she was getting

| >>706990
"I'd like a Piano Man,"
>The man calls out as he walks up to the bar. He finds a seat at the counter.

| >>707011
"Iskra."

>She simply said, draining the rest of her glass.

| >A man in a blue trenchcoat walks in a bar, he carries a deck on his back as he looks around for a moment, before setting down at the bar counter.

| >>707004
>The nun gives you a peace sign
"Yes! that's me, Although I ain't the gal who set up the work, that's ol' Wrath's old deal"
>She says, looking back towards Iskra
"You two knowin' each other does help though, so how about another round of explaining for our new addition here?"

| >the door chimes ring as a boy in a blue jacket and brown hair walks in, getting repeatedly poked in the face by a cat boomer with black hair and blue highlights wearing a strange headset
"Come onnnnnn *poke* come to brasil"
>she says making her way to the bar with him

"No *poke* felicia im off duty*poke*.
also give me back my headset already! *poke*"
>he complains

"No its comfy anand its on my head now!"

"You hurt me in ways."

"Good~"

| >>707017

>As you approach, the bartender sizes you up and smirks a bit as she starts to mix together ingredients for a Piano Man.

"Seems like a family reunion in here." >She says as she pushes the completed drink toward you.

"Almost wondering if there was drama involved, given the lacking presence of the-"

>>707060

>As the man in the blue trenchcoat takes a seat, Verana stops in her tracks. It's as if she's frozen in time, looking the man up and down with her eyes alone.

"...It's you."

| >>707091
>The man in the trenchcoat grins
"What gave it away?"
>He gives the bartender a once over himself
"Seems we've both been through a lot lately."

| >>707092

>The woman's surprise paves way to a unwieldy grin, complete with a little sweating.

"It's... hard... to forget a face." >She says, carefully.

"Much less one that is so... popular."

>She starts fumbling around with the ingredients and equipment.

"...Sugar Rush?"

| >>707093
"Sure. Easy on the karmotrine."
>He grins
"Have time to talk?"
>He nods his head in the direction of the booth.

| >>707095

"Of course, of course..." >Verana says as she dumps... waaaaay too much karmotrine into the glass. In fact it's downright overflowing. What the hell?

>She notices this too late and upon looking down at the ruined drink, and back up to you, and back to the ruined drink again, she literally throws it over her shoulder. At least it makes it to a garbage can.

"Sorry... nerves... hah." >She starts making another one.

| >>707097
>He chuckles
"It's okay, take your time. I'm in no rush at the moment."

| "Shouullllddd we go somewhere else?
this place seems packed and you don't have your hero watching popcorn.."
>she quips as she takes a seat by the counter

"Felicia dont be rude! Besides my legs are tired...lets just wait"
>he sighs back, taking his own seat next to her

"Let us know where your free bartender~ else baguette man over here is going to bust out some popcorn~"

"No i wont"

| >>707076
"You can do the explaining."

>Iskra says, wiping her mouth and putting the mask back on.

| >>707099

>Minutes later... she finally passes you the completed Sugar Rush with a single dollop of karmotrine. You know, to help take the edge off.

"Your... sugar rush. Light on the karmotrine."

| >>707104
"Thank you."
>He simply says, taking a sip of his drink
"I think you have a couple other customers for the moment but we can talk afterwards."

| >>707102
“Oh... sorry. Err.... yeah. Explain away I guess. I got time and stuff. I rather know what’s the job and who’ll Be shooting at me this time”

> She gives a sly smile and drinks some more. She hadn’t been out in a while, and the drink really seemed to cheer her up

| >>706994
>Roy feels his heart fall down as far as his shoes as he listens to Nym divulge the actual details of this clinic CN had at one point offered up for Max to use. His head feels like it's starting to spin... Max remains silent. He's apparently here to let Nym plead their case, and then decide whether or not he wants to proceed with surgery... let the pleading begin, then. He drums his fingers against the table.

| >>707246
"I'm gonna be straight with you here. The reason we want to do it at this clinic is because it'll be easier to defend. A number of us have had run ins with corps. Corps that want us dead. Corps that, given the opportunity, would kill us. We've generally kept our heads low for a while now because as you've seen, we're taking care of a lot of people. A lot of people who can't defend themselves."

>Nym pauses a bit.

"If you think we're bad people, or that we're criminals, it doesn't really matter to me. I'd like to think we generally try and help people when we can but again, whatever. Tsu needs help. I don't know what'll happen if she doesn't get it, but it won't be good. She needs help and unfortunately, we can't provide that help. Only you can help her. She doesn't deserve to suffer. She's just a kid. You've met her. She's a sweet heart. And I understand that we're asking a lot of you and your team. You guys might be caught in the line of fire by helping us but I promise you that I will hold nothing back to make sure you and your team are safe and sound."

| >>707091
>Nano gives his word of thanks before he settles in. He takes off his coat to drape over the back of the chair.
"Is it?"
>That's a weird way to greet someone. Is there-
>He looks behind him, realization dawning.
"..CN."

| >>707104 >>707105
>Nano watches as the bartender fumbles the hacker's drink, quietly taking a sip of his own. He really isn't sure what to say.

| >>707100
>A man in a tan softshell jacket with a husky by his side looks at you, putting his bag of chips on the counter and waving you over with a grin. It was Red.

| >>707249

>"I'm gonna be straight with you, here." Finally! Couldn't you have just opened with this?! A word of advice for the future-- skip the fucking sob story, you're not doing yourself any favors trying to tug at people's heartstrings.

>"... run-ins with corps. Corps that want us dead..." Fantastic. Fan-fucking-tastic. Roy said he didn't know these people had checkered pasts-- either he really /is/ a complete imbecile (no surprise, if he is), or he was lying.

>"If you think we're bad people, or that we're criminals, it doesn't really matter to me." I can see that. Don't need to point that one out for me.

>"Tsu needs help." Yes, and? That's why you've got me crammed in this booth with you, isn't it-- did you think I forgot, or are you reminding yourself?

>"I don't know what'll happen if she doesn't get it, but it won't be good." ... Is that supposed to be a /threat/? No, you /don't/ know what'll happen-- but /I/ do.

>"Only you can help her." No. It didn't /have/ to be me. Not until now. But, go ahead-- make me feel special. Try and spin this as something positive.

>"She doesn't deserve to suffer." None of my patients do. None of Roy's patients do. None of /anybody's/ patients do-- this is common sense, you fucking bit brain! You're preaching to the choir.

>"She's just a kid." No shit. What sets her apart from the million other 'just a kid's? You want what's best for her, just like every /other/ fucking parent wants for their offspring-- you’re just willing to go to criminal lengths to get it. Twist my fucking arm.

>"You've met her. She's a sweetheart." Her, and half of my other clients. Tsu's go-get-'em attitude and sunny smile doesn't somehow make her one I'm willing to lose my fucking license over.

>"I understand that we're asking a lot of you and your team."

"..."

>Do you, really?

| >>707255
"Ah, hi Nano."
>CN gives them a wave. Truly a small city indeed.

| >>707249 >>707272
>Oh. That's it. That's all you've got. Should I clap? Pat you on the back? Sorry, I'm out of gold star stickers for the day. Come back when you've got a better sales pitch, runner.

"..."

>Max strokes his chin pensively, and clears his throat. Nym and Roy can almost see him mentally center himself before he speaks.

"Alright... say you've managed to convince me--"
>As if I had a fucking choice /not/ to be convinced...

"-- How're you getting the dean to buy this?"

| >>707275
>Is it hot in here? Is he sweating?

"..."

>He's sweaty. It's hot in here. That's gotta be why he's so thirsty-- but the more he drinks, the more Roy feels like he's burning up. It's not a... "jittery" burn, though: not the electric one adrenaline leaves in it's wake. This warmth, if he wasn't locked up in a shoebox with two people at each other's throats, would be... almost pleasant?

"...?"

>... Oh, for christ's sake... The bartender fucked up, didn't she?

| >>707276
>Roy squeezes his eyes shut, and shakes his head-- bad idea. The room whirls around him. He finds himself gripping the edge of the table so he doesn't end up splattering against the walls, courtesy of centripetal force. Beet red, and trying his best to stay upright, he manages:

">>>Theyyy're not getting the dean to buy this, Max-->>>yyyou are."

>Roy punctuates this declaration by thumping the table with the heel of his palm. Max raises an eyebrow, and looks at Nym.

| >>707273
"Bit of a celebrity around here, eh?"

>Red remarks, tossing another dog treat for his husky to catch (which it promptly does with great enthusiasm).

"CN, isn't it?"

| >>707273
>He had known that CN was something of a regular here. He's not as surprised as he otherwise would be.
"Hey,"
>Nano nods. When was the last time they had met outside of "work"?

| >>707277
>Nym glances at Roy. Great, he's drunk.

"All I can really offer to convince the dean is to lay things out on the table as much as I can. Some of my... companions think I'm crazy for doing this. Some think it'd be better to keep you all in the dark as much as possible but..."

>Nym pauses.

"I don't think it's the right way to do this. How can we try and build an amicable relationship if we start off with deception?I don't think it's right and to a degree, it'd be disrespectful to try and do that."

| >>707282
"..."

>Max blinks, and sips his drink, shifting his gaze from Nym to Roy. He raises an eyebrow, and says dryly:

"... Did >>>you feed her those lines? Sounds like you."

>Roy nods a few times... then, seems to forget he's doing it-- his head keeps bobbing to some invisible beat as he folds his arms across his chest and intones:

"Yyyyyeah, Nym-- that >>>does kinda sound like something>>>I would say..."

>Oh, lord...

| >>707278
"Um... that's right. Please I'm far from a celebrity though. Just a guy who does stuff with a deck from time to time."
>CN laughs off the recognization from the others in the bar, hiding his embarrassment by drinking more of his Sugar Rush.

| >>707287
>Nym tilts their head.

"Mm? Does it? Pretty sure I've always been like this. Didn't really... plan this with anyone so yeah, it's just all me"

| >>707289
>Roy switches from nodding to shaking his head, his upper body swaying. He waves a hand at Nym dismissively.

"Nnno, nooo... Nymmm, lemme--"

>If Max already can't stand that kind of talk coming from Roy, what're the chances he'll take it better coming from somebody else? Roy knows he needs to speak the guy's language...

"... Max... >>>you are gonna convince her it's allll kosherrr, and then>>>after, youuu... tell her you got>>>duped."

>Max squints.

"What?"

| >>707290
>Nym raises an eyebrow at Roy but lets him continue. He's... gotta know what he's doing, right?

| >>707100

"I'm so sorry..." >The bartender says, turning to CN and Nano with an apologetic look.

"What can I get you?"

| >>707291
"... Y'knowww, >>>duped. >>>Cheated. >>>Bamboozled... >>>Sssmeckledorfed--"

>Max is surprised-- maybe even impressed-- that Roy can still produce this many synonyms (real and fake) for "tricked" at this level of inebriation.

"Get to the point, Roy."

>Roy huffs, then continues:

"Tell her they >>>mmmade you-- forced you against your will-->>>twisted >>>your >>>arm--"

>Max's expression gradually becomes one more quizzical than dubious. He hears what Roy's saying.

| >>707288 >>707293
>Nano downs maybe a quarter of the glass before he looks at Verana again. He frowns sympathetically. It's hard to think of what kind of small talk he could have with CN.. With someone calling him out, he doesn't need to.

| >>707294
>Nym quietly listens, nodding along with Roy's explanation.

"So we'd forge whatever documents are necessary to get permission and afterwards, you're free to rightfully so, come out as the victim."

>Nym gives a shrug.

"We're used to being disliked anyways."

| >>707266
"Hey red"
>frenchie greets

>>707105
"Noooo geeky dont pull attention hereeee"
>dum dum frenchie laments

>>707293
"Oh its no bother really, take your ime first.
Me however, ill take a black velvet if you serve those"
>the catgirl greets

"Dannnnnnggg iiittt neeerrrrddddd"
>the boy laments, then coughs as if changing subjects
"A martini please, not one of those bootleg brandtinis. A martini"

| >>707288
"Well, if you say so."

>Red says dismissively, before draining the last of his lager.

>>707293
"Hey! Bartender! Can I have another one?"

>Red says, holding his bottle up for the bartender to see.

| >>707296
"That's >>>rrright."

>Roy nods so hard he almost faceplants into the table. Holy shit. How much karmo did Verana manage to fit in that glass?! Max is... infinitely more composed-- posture absolutely pristine in contrast with Roy's sloppy slouch. Wasn't it supposed to end up the other way? The guy must have a tolerance better than Ace's... Max turns to Nym.

"... You'll take the fall?"

>They said they'd do anything to make sure my team stays "safe and sound"...

| >>707487
>Nym solemnly nods.

"We're the ones asking for a favor here. I won't have you or your people risk anything more than absolutely necessary."

| >>707489
>Max inhales deeply, then turns his gaze downward-- appearing as though he's just noticed something /incredibly/ interesting about his fingernails. This gets Roy's attention, and... his eyes narrow as he, uh... tries to scrutinize Max's cuticles so he can figure out just what it is. There's a lull, before Max asks:

"How long've I got to think about this?"

| >>707493
"You're the one that best understands Tsu's current condition. A few days? Is that too short? Too long?"

| >>707299

>The bartender nods and takes a champagne flute, a small bottle of champagne, and a bottle of Darkwinter Double Stout and sets them next to each other. They carefully pour some champagne into the glass, and then pour and equal amount of stout over an overturned spoon that's on top of the glass, allowing the beer to gently run down the sides. The result is a beautifully two-toned cocktail- light on the bottom, slightly dark on top.

>She slides it to catgirl.

"Your black velvet."

>She then takes equal parts vermouth, Juniper Lee Gin, and a bit of coarsely cracked ice and dumps them into a shaker. After a few moments, she strains the contents into a martini glass and places a toothpick with two pitted green olives stuck in it.

"...and your martini." >She says to the boy.

>>707306

>Another Pissywater Lager arrives next to your empty bottle with an audible clink.

| >>707288 >>707295

>The latest drinks filled, Verana wipes her forehead. She looks away from Nano and CN.

"...You wanted to chat?"

| >>707677
>CN swirls his Sugar Rush a bit, taking another sip of his drink before answering.
"Yes, is a booth free?"

| >>707689

>Verana pulls out a booth for number... oh...

>...thirteen.

"One is now."

| >>707723
"Let's go then."
>CN simply states, standing up with his drink towards the booths before you even have a chance to answer.

| >>707724

>You've never been in this booth before. It's just as cramped as the rest, though.

>Verana unlocks it and allows you and anyone else who's interested to join the conversation enter.

| >>707725
>CN heads inside.

| >>707725 >>707726
>Nano continues to handle his Piano Man. CN up to something again? Well, he'll hear about it or he'll won't.

| >>707726 >>707731

>Yes indeed, just what could CN be up to this time...?

>The booth closes behind the two of them with a click.

| >>707654
"Thank youuuu"
>she catches the glass and takes a small swig
"So what now, find someone to talk to?"

"Honestly given how colorful this place is, its enjoyable just to people watch.
always some self important yaa hoo acting like they are from a tv show or other"
>he sips his martini

"Thanks kinda mean wouldn't you say?"

"Yeah but its better then actual cable!"

>thus they fade into the background and people watch

| >>707654
"Thanks."

>Red cheers, grabbing the new bottle and pops it open. Meanwhile, his companion returns from the restroom. The girl, Alix, grabs two chips, eating one and pushing another into Red's mouth as he was about to take a sip of his beer, which promptly cause some of it to spill on his clothes.

"Hey!"

>Red yells, but Alix ignores him and turns to the bartender.

"What is the stage for? Do you guys have some shows here or something?"

| >>707942
"You two should sing again"
>cassie teases

"What happened to fading into the background to people watch cap?"
>his female companion sneers

"I *am* fading in and people watching thanks~
juuusssttf throwing a suggestion to the network is all~"
>he chuckles back

| >>707138
>Superbia smiles
"Well, if all goes the best it can, I doubt you'll shoot anyone."
>The nun smiles
"So, like I said to our friend right here, me and a partner of mine lost something. Or well we lost two somethings. and recently they started emitting a signal again. So we sent in a bot to get them up... and well it got trashed!"
>Superbia laughs loudly, holding a hand to her forehead
"So that's why we hired both of y'all. We want you to delve and recover those things see?"

| >>708003
"Simple recovery job? I'd say having a sapper might be overkill, but given that I still have bruises from my last outing, I think being safer is better than still being sore two weeks after the fact."

> She drinks some more and shifts a bit in her seat. She looks around to make sure nobody notices her, and thankfully, nobody has.

"When's all this going to go down? I have to revamp my gear anyway so having a deadline would be nice"

| >>707489
>There's some... weird thumping coming from under the table. What is that? Max cranes his neck as he takes a peek beneath.

"..."

>Oh. It's just Roy tapping his foot. The guy's got a half-lidded glare trained on Max, and he's wearing a frown that's quickly pulling deeper. Quit stalling and take the offer, already!!

"... A few days is fine. Won't take longer than that."

>Coming from Max, that's a "yes", Roy thinks-- the man just likes to keep people guessing.

| >>708079
>Nym relaxes somewhat.

"Thank you."

>The lilim finishes their drink.

| >>708082
>Following Nym's lead, Roy decides to polish off the rest of his drink, as well-- knocking back the sugary slurry clinging to the bottom of the glass, Roy triumphantly slams it down onto the table once empty. It's all very dramatic. Feels like it should be followed by a poignant speech, a celebratory fanfare-- but, instead, all that comes next is:

"May I...?"

>He holds up an index finger, then looks towards the door.

"I-I gottaaa... excuse me for a >>>minute--"

| >>708088
"Oh c'mon..."

>Nym quickly moves to open up the door of the booth and help Roy out.

| >>707942

>The bartender seems to be missing, but a customer sitting near one of the open booths speaks up anyway:

"Sometimes they have shows, yeah. Open Mic Night's every Saturday evenin'."

>>708088 >>708091

>As you stumble your way outside, you find that the bartender is nowhere to be seen for some reason. You know where the restroom is, though. Right there behind the stage.

| >As Roy leaves, someone steps into the light from a fairly secluded part of the bar. Their look screams ex-gangbanger, or maybe current, who knows. They take a look at their phone, then back at the chummer heading to the back, then their phone again, and decide to also visit the comfort room.

| >>708091
>Roy mumbles a "thank you soooo much" before sidling out of the glorified closet he's been locked up in. He's not very steady on his feet: there's a lot of swerving and weaving with each step, but he doesn't topple over. He has his exo to thank for that. He makes his way towards the restrooms at a much slower pace than he'd prefer, wearing a look of... dawning realization? Not what you'd expect the face of a guy who desperately needs to take a leak to look like.

| >>708100
>Nano's down to a sliver of a sip, just enough to wet his tongue and thin enough that the alcohol appears as if it has lost some of its color.
>...
>When you don't have anyone to talk to you're prone to look around, so it only takes good timing for him to spot yet another familiar face in the bar - No, it couldn't be, could it? He squints.

| >>708101

>Oh, but it *is*, Nano. That is definitely Roy, drunk off his ass in ways that would kill lilims.

| >>708101
>Before you can get a glimpse of his /actual/ face, he's disappeared into the men's room, nearly listing into the wall as he rounds the corner. Where's that handicapped stall...?

"..."

>There's a pause as he searches out the right door. He shakes his head.

"... Ei, pick up..."

>... Is he talking to himself?

| >>708103
>You hear someone else enter the restroom. The door closes, but there's no other noise of the secondary person doing their business.

| >>708102
>Nano's squint softens to a stare. Yeah, that could kill someone, alright.
>>708098
>His brain also registers the.. Let's call him bad news next door, but by that point Nano's already left his seat to trail them into the bathroom.

| >Roy greets the throne room, and in turn the throne room (in all it's glory, or lack thereof) greets him back-- grab rail, and all. He won't be using that. He won't be using /any/ parts of the stall meant to make it accessible, actually. Heck-- he won't even be using the /bathroom/-- he just needed a private place to make a call. Can't do that in (not so) solitary confinement...

"Come on..."

>There's some tapping as he paces back and forth.

| >Unlike either of the two, Nano decides to wait at the sinks. He's going to be standing either way, so why bother?

| >>708119
"Ahh--!!"

>You hear him kind of hunch over-- shoes visible under the door shuffle to the furthest corner of the stall. Roy leans heavy on the cracked tile.

">>>Finallyyy... why does it take you soooo long to pick>>>up?"

>Where you think you'd hear an answer, there's silence. Jesus. He's gotta be losing it. Was there more in there than just karo and karmo?

"Sometimes I hesitate when you call me outta nowhere-- can y'blame me?"

>Roy groans loudly.

| >>708129
">>>That wasn't me, and youuu knooow it."

"... Are you okay?"

>Roy lowers his voice-- though, in a place with acoustics like this, it doesn't mask it very much.

"Ummm... wellll..."

"Lotta static... there an echo--? Walker, you talking while usin' your commlink?"

>Caught in the act... he takes a deep breath, trying to concentrate.

"Sorryyy... it's >hard not tooo..."

"Jesus... you're real fucked up, huh?"

| >>708125

>The would be stalker is an ex gangbanger alright, if the tats and the spiky hair didn't give it away, then perhaps the oddly familiar RIDERZZZ slogan on the back of his denim vest does. He chills at the urinals, clearly pretending to be taking a wee piss.

| >>708130
>..Yeah, there's no denying it now. It's Roy. Nano has questions, a hell of a lot more than he did than when CN swaggered in asking for a room.
>...
>Why does he sound kind of cute?

| >...
>....
>Nano shakes his head. He looks away from the mirror as he leans on the countertop, once again catching sight of..
>>708131
>You know who.
>Oddly familiar, sure.. But something he couldn't put his finger on. He only becomes more suspicious as the ganger's faking becomes more obvious. He sits up a little.

| >>708130
"Nnnot on purpose..."

"The fuck's that supposed to mean?"

"I... thiiink the bartender made a mistake."

"Y'think? Capable of thinking, right now?"

>Roy grunts in frustration. Whoever he's arguing with in his own head seems to be winning.

"Stoppp-- stop, stop, >>>stop..."

"... You calling t'get outta there? What is it?"

| >>708150
"If you juuust let me talk..."

"Letting you talk; been lettin' you this entire time--!"

>Roy's voice fills the bathroom for a moment as he blurts in an attempt to "talk" over Aikawa:

"I think I found us a way out."

>Immediately, he claps his hand over his mouth. He really needs to work at this "using your (literal) inside voice" thing...

"... What? Of where?"

| >>708153
"Here!"

"Where's here-- the... bar, the... city--?"

>Roy hisses in a pressured whisper:

"The >>>faaarm-- look, I'll tell you more when I get home--"

"Did you drive? How're you gettin' back-- should I ask 'Zeke to grab you?"

>There's a little giggle from the stall as Roy replies with something he thinks is charming.

"Ohhh, I don't think you'd have to >>>ask him to grab me...

| >>707980
>Alix turns to Cassius and smiles.

"Oh, I would l-"

>Red put his hands over her mouth before she could finish, pulling her from behind. Alix struggles against it but Red holds her tight.

"What she meant was one time was enough for us."

"Mmph! Mmph!"

"Anyways, you two make a nice couple, I'm sure you would be great on the stage!"

| >>708199
"How about you two go first then~?"
>he laughs, mimicking times prior
"Commeee onnn alix~ you know you want tooo~ red will cave eventually~"
>ahhhh temptation

"Oh speaking of your elusive girlfriend cap, telllll me about herrrr"
>the catgirl slumps over, poking his face again

"No"

>she frowns at that

| >>708226
>Alix finally breaks out of Red's arms. She take a couple of deep breathes before replying.

"As I was saying before, I would love t-"

>She got a few more words this time before Red stuffs her mouth with some potato chips. Alix looks back and gives Red and few light slap on the shoulder.

"That's revenge! Ow, ow."

>Red shouts out and laughs.

| >>708285
"You two are as lovey dovey as always i see~"
>he chuckles with a teasing grin on his face

"Is everyone here a couple or something?"
>the cat girl tilts her head

"Yeah, who knows Moritz~ stay around long enough and you might finally get a boyfriend"

"Oh ha HA, very funny Cassius"

"Almost as funny as your inability to find a partner~"

>and in response to that she fekkin bites his arm, yet oll frenchy just smiles. He knows he won

| >>708301
"Oh, you haven't seen us when there's only two of us, yet."

>Red replies, laughing again.

>Alix flusters as he make that comment and hits Red more. She finally swallows the chips in her mouth and speaks.

"Red! You idio-"

>Alix is once again interrupted, this time by Red pulling him in for a kiss and a hug, which results in her face even redder than before. She also ceases on hitting him, instead putting her arms around Red to return the hug.

| >Fenrir, feeling a little left out, jumps up with a bark, pawing the back of Red. Alix stops hugging with a smile to let Fenrir into the embrace. The result was a hug between Red and Alix with Fenrir awkwardly sandwiched in-between the pair, making an iconic husky derp face and whining quietly.

| >>708003 >>708023
"As she said. When will we be starting."

>Iskra asks Superbia.

| >>708573
>cassie just smiles and sips his martini, supposedly just happy to see some friends having a nice time together
>of course, he will never admit it. The damn tsundere

>felicia on the other hand, is bright red embarrassed for a number of reasons, judging by the look on her face it is mostly due to seeing two people kiss in public
"H-how perverse.."

"Spoken like a true loner kat"

"Shaddup! Also im not a cat!"

"Pffff cat"

| >>708639
"Well, considering the fact that Warden is currently setting up the insertion point, I'd say... just about a week? Yeah sounds fair to me!"
>The nun says, smiling
"You better prepare then hmm?"

| >>708729

"A week? That's a good time frame to get my stuff ready. Not that there's even much to get ready, I guess. Sounds like it'll be a good time."

> Dusty finishes her drink and stands up briefly, stretching and trying to see where a bartender was to get a refill

"Anyone else want another drink? Least I can do for showing up so late"

| >>708746
"Well, my dear cutie of a sister would say something like Not being overconfident is a good point, but yeah, let's make it fun shall we?"
>The Nun smiles while laughing
"Give us three another drink tender, I'll pay for these fine gals here"

| >>708719
>The pair finishes hugging just in time to see you two argue.

"Both of you do make a cute couple too."

>Alix says.

| >>708729
"да, sounds good to me"

>Iskra replies after finishing her first glass of moonblast, she leaves her glass on the counter and wait for the refill.

| >>708751
"Alix you've met my actual girlfriend don't joke like that"
>he sighs
"You could get a guy in trouble.
Kats just a coworker.
A fekkin annoying one trying to get to come to what is essentially hell on earth no less!"

"First, seriously let me meet herrrr"
>the cat girl complains
"No"

"Sec-grrrrr. -second, come to brasil!"

"Also no"

"You hurt me in ways cassius"

"Then we're even"
>he smirks

| >>708752 >>708748

"Well, I can't say no to that! Let's have a drink to health and safe rides then!"

> Dusty shouts rather enthusiastically, maybe even being loud enough for others around to hear. She then sits back down, unzipping her jacket and getting back into her relaxed position

"This job is gonna go all right I bet."

| >>708091
>Meanwhile, back in the booth, Max returns to being silent while he and Nym wait for Roy to finish his business and drunkenly waltz their way. As time passes it starts to become increasingly clear that this could take a while. Max looks over his shoulder towards the door, then back at the lilim.

"... Can we wrap this up? I've got someone I need to visit, and the gift shop closes in an hour."

>He taps the back of his wrist, where the face of one's watch would sit.

| >>708766
"Oh sure, of course."

>Nym opens the booth again and steps out.

"Thanks again for meeting with me. I really appreciate it. Just uh... let Roy know what you decide on."

>Nym forces a smile despite how awkward and uncomfortable the situation is.

| >>708768
>Max follows, stretching as he stands. He nods to Nym.

"Sure. Hope he'll hear me right through that killer hangover he's got coming..."

>The man chuckles, and shakes his head to himself. On his way towards the bar's exit, he pulls his phone from his pocket. Is this call incoming, or outgoing...? He brings it to his ear-- must be the former.

"Hi. On my way there now. Is she still awake?"

>Is that a smile?

| >>708772
"... Good. Do me a favor? I'll pay you back--"

>...

"Can you grab me half a dozen roses from the gift shop? Not sure I'll make it there before close with traffic."

>...

"... Thanks. Just keep them at the nurse's station. Pick them up on my way in."

>The phone is slipped back into his pocket, and with that conversation finished, Max leaves the bar. In his rush to meet whoever it is that's being surprised with flowers, though, he seems to have forgotten to tip Verana...

| >>708777
>Nym just quietly waves Max off and goes to the bar to pay off the tab.

| >>708778

>The bar is empty. Where in the world did Verana go?

| >>708785
>The Nun also notices the missing Tender after her triple order.
"Well,well, keeping a lass waiting"
>>708778
>She looks at Nym with a smile
"Oh, you're back Sugar, hope that meeting went well? hmm? Paying the tab, what a good girl!"
>She laughs loudly

| >>708786
>Nym gives a half-hearted smile.

"About as well as can be expected."

| >>708756
"Oh, right, speaking of. Where is she? Does she know you're here?"

>Alix continues.

| >>708902
"Off doing something or other that liz~ Probably doing some magic for kids and getting her sleeves burnt in the process haha!"
>he whimsies to nothing
"She knows i wander a lot, its fine.
Want me to call her over? Who knows, it could become couples night~ haha!"
>cracks a joke but this only causes felicia to blush even more, drowning being a hanger on in a conversation about romance in her black velvet

| >>708808
>Superbia smiles widely
"Considering the people you were with, I cant blame you, a drunk and the other one"
>The Nun gives Nym a full smile, showing off her row of teeth, sharp like knives. Her eyes still unseen behind the large tufts of hair coming from underneath her sister's hood
"I'd be careful who you associate with sugar, some people are just oh so full of ugly little facets"
>She cackles

| >>708962
"Oh, believe me, I try. Unfortunately, this line of work gets you acquainted with all sorts of... unsavory characters."

>Nym takes a seat at the bar not too far from Superbia as they wait.

| >>709044 >>708962 >>708785

> Dusty grows tired of waiting around for her next drink. She motions to the bar and leaves Iskra on her own at the table. She sees the nun and... someone else. But no bartender. So she sees an opportunity for herself

> She hop up onto the bartop, bracing herself with her hands, like a kid trying to peer somewhere they shouldn't be. She's clearly is searching for she could quickly snag for herself and even has a hand hovering, trying to feel out a prize

| >>709046
>Nym watches this with an eyebrow raised for a few seconds before standing and gently bonking the woman on the head.

"Oi"

| >>709048

> Dusty takes the bonk and bounces herself off the bartop to the floor to get a better stance against the person who hit her... only to see a Lilim.

"Hey, did you just hit me? What's your deal?"

> She squares herself up against the much taller person. Sure, they're visibly taller, but that's never stopped her before

"This looks like the kind of joint where they're expecting this to happen, so just let me have a little treat"

| >Nym has a rather deadpan look on their face as they lightly bonk her on the head again.

"Don't steal."

| >>709052

>Dusty gives a glare back, putting a hand on her hip and zipping her jacket back up

"Ugh, you sound just like my roommate Fox. You kind of... look like him. I guess you're a DFC or whatever?"

> She stops and stares intently at Nym, as if also seeing Fox next to him. Eventually, she stops and goes back to staring over the bar, perched on the counter once more.

"What's wrong with living a little? it's not like they'll notice a half empty bottle gone anyway"

| >>709055
"Because I'm not the type to watch someone steal from an acquaintance of sorts?"

>Nym ones again reaches over and bonks the girl.

"Oi"

| >>709044
>The nun stops smiling and shrugs
"Isn't thet the truth, I can only assume you had your fair share of bad apples, wearing their ugly sides like they wear buttons on their sleeves, makes a lass like me kinda plain by comparaison doesn't it!"
>She says
>>709055
>The nun gives Dusty a stare, and shakes her head
"One should never take roundabaout ways in life, that's what it means to be prideful of one's station: If you steal something, do it boldly, in front of the target."

| >>709070 >>709056

> Dusty ignores the bop on her head and pulls up a bottle quickly, not even bothering to check what she was grabbing. And unfortunately for her, it was basically empty, save for maybe a shot's worth left

"It's not stealing, this is what's expected. All the bars I knew had this happen too. Shame this bottle is effectively empty... whatever it is"

> It's a bottle with a clear liquid inside. She takes off the top and smells it. Piney.

"I think it's... gin? Ew"

| >>709078
>The nun shakes her head
"Hand it over, Surely I can apreciate it more"
>She smiles

| >>709070
>Nym looks her over again and shrugs

"Nothing plain about you, miss."

>>709078
>Nym just rolls their eyes and sighs.

"If i was the barkeep, I would have broken your hand by now."

| >>709084
>The nun chuckles
"Is it the lights? I bet it's the lights making you say that sugar, or maybe you're into me? Noo! please you can't!"
>She starts wiggling around, holding her own body as she does

| >>709082
"Hmm...."

> She hops off the counter again and makes up her mind

"Well, no time like the present. Salud"

> Dusty takes a small pull from the bottle, leaving about half of what little there way left. She makes a grimace as she gets over the taste before offering over the bottle

"What happened to having pride? I mean, I stole it first but... y'know. Gods that wasn't very pleasant. Gin sucks."

| >>709087
"Pride is also seizing the moment"
>The nun says, grabbing the bottle and downing it's content easily, as she pulls back the bottle, she gives a peace sign and a smile to Dusty and Nym
"Indeed, And I am the best at it"

| >>709085
>Nym gives an exaggerated sigh and shakes their head.

"No, not like that. I am already involved with someone, thank you very much"

>>709087
"You must be the life of a party, huh?"

| >>709092 >>709089
"I can drink to seizing the moment. Just not with something so bitter. Not when I'm still sober"

> She turns and sticks her tongue out at Nym, clearly shooting back at their comment

"Yep! I sure am!! That's just the Dusty way of doing things, according to Fox and Pete. Sorry that you just can't keep up, kid"

| >>709092
"Ahh, a shame isn't it sugar?"
>Superbia shows mock sadness, wiping away fake tears from her unseen eyes

| >>709099
"If you say so"

>Nym lightheartedly waves a hand dismissively.

>>709109
"A shame for you maybe, but I'm sure you'll get over it."

| >Iskra just watches silently as Dusty stole the bottle of gin, she did nothing to stop, but also say nothing to discourage her.
>She just doesn't give a shit really.
>Iskra looks around the establishment a little more.

| >>709137
"Hey, I'm pretty good at that Sugar, getting over things that is"
>The nun replies, chipper
>She taps the seat next to her and Dusty
"Get on closer, let's have some good talks now that your business is over?"

| >>708905
>Alix notices Felicia blushing.

"Look, you know I'm sure Red might be able to introduce you to a little someone if you feels a little lonely."

>Alix politely remarks as Fenrir climbs up onto her lap. Alix smiles and starts playing with his fluffy coat of fur.

| >>709188
"What!? N-no thats quite alright I'm not looking for something at the moment"
>she blushes even harder, her cat ears are practically having a seizure with how much they are flicking in embarrassment

>cassie Meanwhile leans into alix's ear and whispers
"Do me a favour dearheart and scratch behind her ears...the cat ones...please"
>then leans out with a giggle

>hnmmmmmm blushing catgirl and a choice...

| >>709201
>Fenrir barks angrily as you leans into Alix's ear.

"Oh, it's alright."

>Alix says to Fenrir, patting him on the back to comfort him, she then let Fenrir down from her lap and leans into your ear.

"Hmm, let's not do that, I don't think Fenrir would like me touching a cat ear."

>Alix whispers back.

| >>709304
>he sighs
"Guess ill have too..she dosen't like it if i do it though..
>then does exactly that, softly scratching behind felicia's ear...this works and makes her slump down in satisfaction
"Uwaa...."

>peace doesn't last However as she immediately jolts after he finishes
"Heyyyy stop doing that!"

"Try to stop me kat~
>he taunts the girl while placing payment counter as if in preparation for something...
"Or would you like some milk instead...~?

| "Grrrr...fine i will!"
>she stands up and raises her hand, a claw of plasma, bright enough to cut the knight lights from her fingers and knuckles

>frenchy gets up too, his smile covered as his fox mask raises over his face from his jacket, then dashes out the door!
"Try it then!"

>felica gives pursuit! Dropping to all fours when outside!

>off they go! Into the night!

| >>709184
>Nym frowns but comes over and sits down.

| >>709486
"See, what a good girl, so how about we talk a storm then sugar? How's the week, how's the kids... How's my dear little sister Humility?"
>Superbia says, a finger dancing in the air in front of you

| >>709487
"... Mili's been doing alright. Got her a quiet place to stay away from too many people. Work's been...... stressful"

>Nym cautiously eyes Superbia.

| >>709488
"Good, see little Humili cant take much care of herself but she never liked relying on us as well, despite the fact that I would rush to help her, she's adorable after all"
>Superbia smiles, once again bearing her teeth
"Stressfull though huh? Well I know you lot have a bunch on yer plate since a while back now, is what mister bossman and the idiot in purple said"

| >>709499 >>709488 >>709183

> Dusty clearly grows bored of them talking, wishing she could be included. She shrugs and walks back to Iskra, unzipping her jacket again and getting comfortable once more

"Some weird life, huh? Always having to fight or kill for the next day's bread. This is all I know, so i doubt a girl like me could ever be any better yet, y'know"

> Dusty wasn't sure why, but she felt it in her gut that maybe Iskra knew what she meant

| >>709499
"Idiot in purple...?"

>Nym cocks and eyebrow

| >>709504
"Yes, it's certainly strange. But whatever, never know how long our luck will last; we can't live forever, enjoy it while it last. Do what you want, I won't judge."

>Iskra replies, turning back once again towards Dusty. She pulls down her mask and flashes a small smile at Dusty.

"We watch each other's back this upcoming job, yes? Let's not run out of luck just yet."

| >>709588

“After my last job, I think I’ll definitely be more careful. I got my ear chewed off by my Pete for being reckless. You seem like his kind of calm in a job, so I’ll just follow your lead.”

> She readjusts herself, seated in almost a perch now.

“By the way, the bartender is MIA. That’s what’s taking so long right now with the drinks. Hopefully they’ll be back before we die of thirst”

| >>710357
>Iskra allows herself a laugh.

"That would be on the uncommon cause of death for us, I would think."

| >>710395

> Dusty laughs a bit too, feeling more comfortable around her temporary partner

“Hey, if a mundane death is what I get, I’d be happy. Beats dying in a ditch somewhere full of of holes

|

| >>710409
"Then I guess that's one thing we could agree on. All the going out with a bang seems overglorified. What good would a statue be if your actual body is left to be fish food in a pond somewhere."

>Iskra replies, her voice is not as cheerful anymore and the happy glint in her eyes seems to disappear, replaced by a frown.

|

| >>711306

"I actually have a friend who got turned into a statue. Well, it wasn't really 'him' but like, his old body? He was a Dt-01. Apparently, he wasn't as bulletproof as he wanted to be. Got his power supply blown up and we didn't know he had a body ready to be redeployed so we took that shell home. His nickname was Mad Gear for a reason."

> Dusty tells this story cheerfully, as if she was unaware of how potentially morbid it would sound to anyone else

|

| >>709505
>Superbia waves her hand in front of her, dismissing the topic
"You'll get to see him soon enough, I hear you met with Miseri and all that already"
>She smiles
"Nothin' much to say"

| >>711821
>The lilim sighs.

"So another of your number. It's disconcerting how much attention I've drawn in such a short time..."

| >>711823
>Superbia sighs
"Nah he ain't one of us, he's one of em' REO fellas"
>She shrugs

| >>711826
"REO?"

>Nym tilts their head. First time hearing that.

Total number of posts: 250, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1604460732

This thread is permanently archived