danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Underrated animes:How many do you know?

| Do you know any animes that are not involved in any mainstream media or generally not spoken about that are absolute masterpieces. If so, feel free to suggest some. I'm running out of things to do here.

| Tamala 2010

| Ergo proxy and texnohaze (I probably butchered the name) come to mind they are getting more popular but most normal people can't appreciate the what looks like random nature of these series only for it to be wrapped up by the end. Ergo proxy does a great job at this and makes you feel stupid for not figuring it out.

| Not particularly obscure, but definitely not mainstream, I enjoyed Ben-To and Punch-Line.

Ben-To is just wacky fun and great action (with maybe too much fan humourous fan service).

Punch line was fun but I remember distinctly not liking it much until the latter half of the show when the narrative begins to make sense more.

If you're in the market for manga to read too, I'd say platinum end is pretty neat, although admittedly quite well known too.

| Ixion saga, its an isekai, I know it maight sound as a red flag but it is from before the saturated iskai era, it doesnt have that many cliches, the side characters matter and the humor is on point without degrading the story, its pretty fun and doesnt take itself too seriously

| Also mob psyco 100, same outhor of one punch man, but completely different, the art style is wierd but fine, like the orther stories from one it has god levels of comedy with an overarching plot and super interesting side characters, the morals are nice, btw its about espers and paranormal activity

| kuzu no honkai
It has relatively low score on animelist, but I thought it's great.

| Ы

| >>668907 Hardly underrated. It's rated as one of the best animated animes ever, at least for season one.

Haibane Renmei. To be honest, I don't think this one is the best if you're looking for enjoyment of any kind. It's more chill, and any developments that happen afterwards are kind of underwhelming at face value. What it does offer are some philosophical lessons and intentionally incomplete world building in an attempt to catch your intrigue.

| If the idea of spending four-six hours on something where mostly nothing happens but you still want to experience it, I recommend Angel's Egg. It's a 70 minute experience with even weirder things going on, but gives even less hints and has almost no dialogue, which can make it pretty frustrating to follow through, but manages to the the atmospheric tone up a ton.

| *If the idea of spending four-six hours on something where mostly nothing happens intimidates you

| >>669080 just cuz it has good ratings doesnt mean every one knows about it or recognizes it, it might be rated high but people barely speak about it unlike one punch man

| Everyone loves the Dragonar OP but no one watches it, just buys the figures

Please watch Metal Armour Dragonar. It's Gundam ZZ on steroids.

| a bit of an older anime that I think is underrated is black lagoon. I don't see many people talking about online but if you enjoy some dark action and crime anime then I think you should give it a try. even if you don't like that I think the 3 episode rule should help if you are unsure about it.

| >>669085 It may not be a household name, but I'm pretty sure most anime fans would at least recognize it. Whether they appreciate it or not is another kind of underrated, which I'm sure most who watches it do.

| Last Exile
ef: a tale of memories
Niea_7

>>669080
Yes, yes.

| Mahou Shoujo Site.
Read the manga and seen the anime.

Unironically enjoyed it, can't believe no one I know hasn't heard of it even

| Steins:Gate
This is the best time travel fiction I ever had the pleasure to witness and yet I don't see many people talking about it. But it definitevely deserve more atention.

| >>669250 truly an underrated masterpiece, just like mob, it has a fandom, it has a score but somehow nobody talks about it and doest feel like it has any relevance

| Arakawa under the bridge, a funny one, although there is a back story that is not entirely resolved in the anime.

| The xxxholic series, watched everything in 1-2 weeks but didn't see much of a fan base around it

| >>669428 I think that's because the fanbase is for the those Clamp, not only the xxxholic

| I don't see anyone talking about Golden Kamuy, but it's good and I really like it.

| >>669437
Looking forward to the next season, what do you expect to happen?

| >>669437 And again, the thing that YOU don't see anyone talking about it doesn't mean it's underrated

| >>669459 shut up, who are you to decide what people see as underrated? This an opninion thread

| >>669462 being underrated isn't subjective

| >>669465 it doesnt matter, people are here just saying wich anime they think that it isnt as recognized as it should be and you here just adding nothing to the conversation and judging people for giving their reasons, thats trashy behaviour right there

| >>423591 mob is pretty popular

| >>54df10 Gurl who said mob isn't underrated here. That's not me, just a troll. Don't take the bait. Golden Kamuy is definitely underrated. While you do hear people mentioming it, it's not as well-known as an anine recent as this should be.

| Mizu no kotoba
Eve no Jikan / The Time of Eve

| holy shit eve no jikan is actually rated over 8 on mal... didn't notice

| Detroit Metal City, Planetes and most of Satoshi Kon works (Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress)

| Kino no Tabi (the first anime) and Aria the Animation are pretty good series you just don't hear much about. I'd argue the latter is getting more and more known these days, though.

| Kimi ga nouzomou Eien aka love rumbles is pretty amazing each ep seems to hit you in the feels

| Yuyushiki is underrated in the slice of life genre, at least I think it is. Don't expect anything massively funny but it's nice and calming, reminds me of dumb shit I did when I was in school.

| >>669765 I should say I 100% recommend Aria if you want slice of life as well. It's super calming.

| >>669765
Kino is probably my favorite anime, therefore I second this one.

>>669859
Yuyushiki is hilarious IMHO, second this one too.

| >>669859 Top-tier slice of life anime.

| Monster

| flcl, afro samurai, the angels egg would be underrated to me. in flcl you get many new things if you rewatch it again. for afro samurai i just think it is not known enough. lastly for the angels egg i think its a beautiful anime and not appreciated enough

| most people get bored when they finish flcl first time cuz they dont get it

| Rainbow is the most underrated anime I've ever seen. There was Jormundgand but I don't like it as much anymore

| I don't mean to be a douche but why do I see anime scoring over 8/10 on mal in this thread ?
Am I missing something in the word "underrated" ?

We should maybe compare what we think is underrated with what we think is justly rated, like

>(disclaimer : that's just an example)

"I believe School Days scores at least as much as Fate UBW".

| SAO

|

| >>670513
lol

| >>670504 yeah OP from the start is conflating under-represented with under-rated. I think the title should have been "Hidden Gems"

| Gunslinger girl, interesting characters and good antagonists

| >>671307
This

| Sry for (kind of) offtop post BUT go and watch Endro~!. It's nice and I have never seen it discussed in pucblic posting services.

| Houseki no Kuni (Land of Lustrous) is a damn great, idk if it's underated, but everytime I recommend ot to someone they most likely will said "meh it's CG anime, I'll pass"

| >>668827
emo proxy is overrated garbage

| Bubblegum Crisis I feel is severely underrated. There was a remake they had but the OG anime was amazing, and had that 80s anime aesthetic going for it. Can't beat girls in powersuits fighting crazed robots.

| Ixion saga, and old and very funny isekai

| >>672831 +1.

| Flip Flappers.
Basically Redline both in terms of animation and reception.

| >>672900
Idk it's more of madoka-esque thing to me.

| >>672956 Madoka is gud, but the creativity put into the worlds they travel to is always fun to experience. Animation is also more fluid and dynamic, maybe not on Redline's level, but maybe Trigger.

| >Alien Nine
A group of girls are chosen by an enigmatic government to fight off an alien invasion. Like Evangelion, but with elementary schoolers

>A Piece of Phantasmagoria
15 short stories by Tamura Shigeru. Artsy and mostly eye candy, but if you like YKK and Kino no Tabi, this had that same feel for me.

>Malice@Doll
A 3-episode CGI series about robot prostitutes trying to carry on after the apocalypse. Sort of plays out like a Yoshitoshi ABe story.

| >>673029
>Aru Tabibito no Nikki
Short anime about a traveler and the strange places/people he meets. The same director made Tsumiki no Ie, which is about an old man constantly building his house up to fend off rising sea levels.

>NieA UNder 7
Slice of life about a broke student and a freeloader alien. Similar to Haibane Renmei.

>Mononoke
Maybe not underrated, but worth watching for the art alone. A traditional Japanese horror about a travelling spirit hunter.

| >>673029 The Alien 9 manga feels much better and continues the story

| >>673029 something like YKK? Thanks for the rec, g/u/rl!

| >>669765
Thank you for recommending Aria, G/u/rl.
It is truly wonderful, I have only seen 5 episodes so far but it already made me tear up twice.
I am sure that I will use it a prime example why I still bother with anime.

| >>673151 ahh, I must have gotten my directors mixed up, sorry. It's been a while since I watched any of these. Aru Tabibito is the YKK-esque one, about the traveler. You can find it on Youtube, as well as Tsukimi no Ie.

| Like, a few.

| Gunslinger G/u/rl.

NOBODY KNOWS GUNSLINGER G/U/RL.

| >>671307

tfw I missed the person who knows Gunslinger G/u/rl. my life is complete.

| >>673536
I know it too. Your opinion on the second season?

| Excel Saga is pretty much forgotten in both America and Japan despite being one of the great bizzare comedy anime(a la Bo-Bo-Bo)

| Drifters

| Space Dandy for sure.

| Kakushigoto, anyone?

| >>674258 THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE FOLKS IS TRULY UNDERRATED.

| To be a hero, you don't expect, what is in the end, but i laughted so hard

| Planetes is really good! It covers a "20 minutes into the future" timeline where space development has reached a point where Kessler Syndrome is a problem, and it follows a group of people contracted to pick up dangerous space debris on collision courses with satellites and other space developments.

| Infinite stratos

Total number of posts: 77, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1594027361

This thread is permanently archived