danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Translating a Manga

| I'm translating City (spiritual successor of Nichijou) because I wanted my family to read it.

That shit is slow, boring, but kinda rewarding?
I really want to have it done
No way I'm doing tome 2 tho fuck that

| Lmao. I'm a professional translator (not Jp-En tho) and it always looks easy at the beginning, doesn't it? And then you realise it's an exhausting trudge. Kudos for doing it tho

| Gawd I'd love to translate stuff, but my jp just isn't good enough yet

| >>634261 if you need a typesetter, let me know! ヽ(^Д^)ノ

| >>634281
I'm not gonna say it looked easy, but certainly less tedious.

I'm translating Japanese to French actually. Go read CITY if you liked Nichijou, its by the same dude and out in english !
I think I actually prefer CITY to Nichijou mainly because it gets rid of the highschool setting.

What are you translating and how did you end up doing it ?

| >>634281
I'm not gonna say it looked easy, but certainly less tedious.

I'm translating Japanese to French actually. Go read CITY if you liked Nichijou, its by the same dude and out in english !
I think I actually prefer CITY to Nichijou mainly because it gets rid of the highschool setting.

What are you translating and how did you end up doing it ?

| doublepost-chan back at it again

| >>634329
Go out there and try read something for children (like yotsuba)
I found out that doing something way over my level makes me progress faster, it just eats up more time and effort.
Actually translating a Manga might as well be over my level too.
But even more so: I recently bought the first tome of bakemonogatari and started reading it a few days ago.
I spent half a day going through 50 pages, and I still don't get it ! (but I learned a lot so I'll get it eventually rofl)

| >>634340
I don't even know if I'll post it online, for now as long as my family can decipher it and correct my spelling I'm happy with that. Thanks a lot anyway :3

And since we're on the topic, here's a few things I learned:
> there's ~2words per line (Japanese is read top bottom in manga)
> characters are in all caps
> there's special fonts for manga
> italics are used when someone shouts
> punctuation-wise '.' is not much used and '!' is everywhere, also words are cut a lot.

| the funny thing is that my french level (mother tongue) actually improved from this.
I was starting to worry about it too since it all went downhill the moment I learned English.
I started to struggle with very basic vocabulary, and it seemed to worsen as my Japanese improved

| >>634360
That's so suprising taking into consideration not many people in France know how to properly speak english. Kudos to you my fellow patriotic friend! uwu
How was it to start learning japanese? Did your learn at a school or did you started alone? I kinda want to start learning also since i dropped out of medical school. I hope you release the translation someday to us!

| >>634362
Thanks, maybe I will !
I learn on my own. I tried a bunch of methods but really, I think anything is OK as long as it entertains you.
Learning can be fun ! If you find something that you genuinely want to do everyday, you'll be set.
I feel like what helped me the most with English was just watching the same youtube videos on repeat, trying to understand all the jokes.

General curiosity about how the language works helped a lot too

| >>634362
Thanks, maybe I will !
I learn on my own. I tried a bunch of methods but really, I think anything is OK as long as it entertains you.
Learning can be fun ! If you find something that you genuinely want to do everyday, you'll be set.
I feel like what helped me the most with English was just watching the same youtube videos on repeat, trying to understand all the jokes.

General curiosity about how the language works helped a lot too

| fuck me

| Anyway, as for how to start learning Japanese... Anything goes ! (as long as you give your all)

And since giving your all proscribe half-assing things, you should learn how to read Japanese too !
Japanese grammar is pretty easy (esp. compared to french haha), but the writing system is very different than ours.
It's actually easier to listen and talk than it is to read and write.

Please don't rely on romaji, you'll handicap yourself by limiting the number of resources you can use

| That's why, I think starting by learning Hiragana and Katakana is a good idea.
It can take as little as a weekend to learn the characters, then they'll eventually become second nature to you.

I used the book > Remembering the Kana
But obviously you can go about it however you want.
Good Luck >:3

Total number of posts: 16, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1584185961

This thread is permanently archived