danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
do you think Ghibli is anime?

| some people say yes and others say no?

why does it matter?

| the fuck kind of question is this and why does it exist in the first place. they are a japanese animation company that makes animated movies so of fucking course its anime

| >>627744
Some people like asking silly questions just because they can't sit in silence for 5 minutes.

| I had somone tell me Totoro is not anime.
I wanted to pat them on the head after this. Violently so.

| Japanese style cartoon

|

| It's not anime its art

| I feel like people need to learn definitions man. Like, I feel like the only people who say that it's not anime are the people who don't know the definition of anime and are scared of liking anime, because the only people who watch that are asperger's 25 year olds and pedophiles.

| >>52ae99 aspires can eat my shit. Most of them are self diagnosed if you haven't visited a real doctor you are a fake aspie and u not cool

| >>628158
There are even worse people outta there.
They think that the American Avatar cartoon is anime.

| >>628158 I'm 65 years of age and I watch Japanese cartoons and I'm not a pedo.

| >>628225
I wouldn't call them worse, just on the opposite side of the very sad coin.

Oof >>d8ad0a

| ?

| It used to be simple. If it is an animation, made by japanese studio/artist in Japan, it is anime.

But then you have stuff like Avatar which used anime style and confused a lot of people if it is anime or not (it's not, btw). And then you have stuff like Panty & Stocking, which is an anime that looks like western cartoon.

So people moved on to see where it is aired to determine if a show is anime or not.

| If it aired in japan, voiced by japanese voice actors, then it is an anime.

Until show like Space Dandy ruined it all. Iirc they simulcast the show, so the japanese dub and english dub aired at the same time. There is also stuff like Devilman Crybaby, which is a netflix exclusive.

So people stepped back and rely On the artstyle. But then, you have some cartoons made by the Chinese. It has anime style, it is on MAL (my anime list) but not made by the Japanese.

| >>628352
It still is simple, actually.
If it is made in Japan by Japanese people for Japanese domestic market - it is anime.
If one or more arguments is lost - it is not anime.
That's it.

| >>628355 devilman is aired on netflix, so it is for global market. You are saying devilman is not anime?

| >>628356
K you got me.
Every rule has some stupid exceptions.

| Anyways, continuing on my post. Why does it matter? Because some people (like me) can't stomach western artsyle. I browse anime style booru all the time and when I see a western style art/fanart, my brain just tells me that something is wrong. I enjoyed avatar last airbender, but other than that, when I see cartoon/western artsyle, I can only think it as a comedy show.

| But, if you can't differenciate between anime artstyle and cartoon which uses anime artsyle, just enjoy everything and think it as an anime. Just don't bring it up when you are talking with people because some people get so petty with it.

If you enjoy anime and can't stomach western artsyle, then maybe just watch shows that are listed on MAL.

If you like Ghibli but can't admit it because anime is for degenerate, then just think it as a cartoon and keep it as your guilty pleasure.

| What you enjoy and don't enjoy matters more than the silly argument if something is anime or not. So just watch anything that interests you.

| >>b91293 I love you

| Not an anime. It's a studio.

| It's hard to say. Yes it is animed in a similar style and yes the studio is from Japan. But Ghibli is much higher budget with it's animation. And also, more importantly the cultural nuisances and are actually different when comparing many Ghibli films to modern anime.

So even if the argument about the style holds true, the actual content of the films doesn't really.

Total number of posts: 24, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1582203525

This thread is permanently archived